It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:17 pm 

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:00 p.m.
JQH Arena, Springfield, Missouri

Picked to finish third in the MVC preseason rankings, it’s been a particularly disappointing season for Missouri State. After a lackluster non-conference slate in which they went 6-6 (4-6 against D1 opponents), with wins were against Eastern Illinois, Oral Roberts, Southeast Missouri State, and Arkansas-Little Rock, the Bears started 2-0 in conference play. But following a home loss to Illinois State dropping MSU to 2-2, leading scorer Marcus Marshall had it out with Coach Paul Lusk and decided to break from the team and seek a transfer. Since then, the Bears have gone 1-5, picking up a 52-46 home win in their last outing against SIU.

The loss of Marshall, who averaged 19.5 ppg, redshirting freshman Robin Thompson, and a back injury that has kept senior guard/forward Ron Mvouika out of all but two games this season, dropped the MSU roster to nine available players. But instead of throwing in the towel, the Bears have shared time and fought hard to adjust. In their games since losing Marshall, they’ve had two losses by only two points in addition to their win over SIU.

Missouri State is likely to start 6’8” senior forward Christian Kirk, 6’6” junior forward Camyn Boone, 6’5” freshman guard/forward Chris Kendrix, 6’3” sophomore guard Austin Ruder, and 6’3” junior guard Dorrian Williams. Getting double-digit minutes per game off the bench are 6’11” sophomore center Tyler McCullough, 6’5” junior forward Loomis Gerring, 6’7” junior forward Gavin Thurman, and 6’0” freshman guard Shawn Roundtree.

Ruder is the top scorer at 8.5 ppg, with 66% of his shots coming from behind the arc; he hits 34% on his threes, and is the only real outside shooting threat after Marshall left. Boone and Williams each add 7.7 ppg, with Boone leading the team in rebounds (5.0 rpg) and Williams in assists (4.6 apg with a nice 1.9 assist/turnover ratio). Boone also leads the team with an impressive 57% field goal percentage, and gets to line more than any other Bear. Kendrix is a shooting guard who prefers to fire from inside the arc or driving to the basket; he averages 5.0 ppg, and has the second most trips to the line where he shoots 72.3%.

As a team, the Bears focus on defense. With impressive average height and good quickness, they slightly out-rebound their opponents with an all hands on deck approach—five of their nine available players average between 3.1 and 5.0 rebounds per game. McCullough and Boone lead in blocks with 26 and 23 respectively, protecting the rim with their respective height and athleticism. They will allow a lot of three point shots and a higher than average percentage, but have a respectable defense on shots inside the arc, allowing 45% on two point attempts.

The Bears struggle on offense. In their six games played since the departure of Marshall, they are shooting only .247 from behind the arc and average only 53.5 points per game. But MSU has compensated by slowing down the tempo, picking up the defensive pressure, and improving their shot selection, patience and field goal percentage. After beginning their post-Marshall era by shooting only 36.4% from the field, they have improved their field goal percentage in each and every game, culminating in 45.8% field goal percentage in their win against SIU.

After losing five straight and slipping from 3-2 to 3-7 in conference, the Ramblers are desperate for a win. Their play has been improving each game without Milton Doyle, and they nearly knocked off Illinois State at home in their last time out. But now in a tie for 6th place with Missouri State and Drake, this game is a must win to avoid dropping into the mire of the Thursday night field. With Christian Thomas potentially out after suffering a blow to the head against Illinois State, someone will have to step up and play huge in a hostile environment.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 203aaa.pdf

Missouri State game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... a_mosu.pdf

TV/Streaming video: Comcast Sports Net, ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id ... ouri-State) Subject to blackout in Chicago area

Vegas odds: MSU by 2

Last edited by JCT on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 pm 

OK, Here we are at 'rug cuttin' " time. To get anywhere upwards , we must win this game.

Our team, which surprised most all of us has now become star crossed. We play hard CONSTANTLY, do the best we can with our lack of height--which btw I lay at PM's feet--Now come ALL the injuries--but still we battle. I am proud of this bunch--PM has reached them--has really coached them well--CRIPES !! Its time we get paid with some wins.
Perhaps Earl's toe is better ( serious hurt --as he can do little when this thing erupts. Christian--the heart of this team along with Milton MUST be able to play--BUT not with concussion residue of course. If those two are ready--really ready , we have a chance Wednesday--BUT what we have left --Turk and the rest have to score BIG. PM I guess feels that Oxen Ball will cover--IT HAS NOT. Of course we are playing fine defense--BUT less than 50 ppg is not the answer.

It is high time we give back what we have been getting --starting with TURK raining Threes from the get-go.

Other teams get hurt we say--I do not want to hear it--I am only worried about my team. No--I do not wish other teams to have injuries--I just wish ours will go away.
I say we win 61-55 !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:55 am 

Well, it looks as if we are 2 1/2 point dogs for our game this evening ! That rates as a toss up to me of course. Maybe all but Milt will be ready to go full blast--If so I still say we win .
What say you guys ?? Any news about our injuries ?

Turk will be the key I feel.

x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:06 pm 

Ramblers right the ship tonight. 58-51.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:41 pm 

Please, dear God, make this be true.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm 

Started as a 2 point dog, but it's up to 2 1/2 and 3 in some places.

Christian Thomas is listed as a probable starter in the Loyola game notes, so maybe he's OK from the second half injury against Illinois State. Man, we need this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:44 pm 

JCT wrote:
Man, we need this one.

That is becoming a much repeated phrase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:56 pm 

JCT wrote:
Christian Thomas is listed as a probable starter in the Loyola game notes, so maybe he's OK from the second half injury against Illinois State.

I'm 99% sure that the game notes and game day graphics base the lineups solely on the previous game starter. it's not really an indication of who will actually start. I'm positive I read that somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm 

If we can score 60 points, I think we win. MSU has only scored 60 points or more in one of their last 11 games, against Drake, before Marshall left the team. Four of the last five opponents have scored 60 or more against them, and every team that did it won. I'd like to see a few more traps, earlier than we usually use them. Spread their defense, hit some outside shots, get points on the board early and often, and keep playing D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:04 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
JCT wrote:
Christian Thomas is listed as a probable starter in the Loyola game notes, so maybe he's OK from the second half injury against Illinois State.

I'm 99% sure that the game notes and game day graphics base the lineups solely on the previous game starter. it's not really an indication of who will actually start. I'm positive I read that somewhere.

You're right, and then there's this:

Maybe Knuth if CT isn't able to go?

Last edited by JCT on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next