PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

LU 86 wrote:
word on the street is there is a new woman's golf coach

Voila.....

http://www.loyolaramblers.com/sports/w- ... 13aaa.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm 

Voila my ass.

The new hire is NOT the new women's golf coach; he occupies the newly-created position of "Director of Golf", which apparently oversees both the men's and women's programs.

The key phrase in the news release is the quote from Stefan that " Our main focus now is to put together a staff ..."

What this means obviously is that Stefan is going to hire/rehire a new/old coach for both the men's and women's team. Who is to say that he won't look very far and decide that Jason Calhoun is the best person for the women's job? This is exactly what I expect will happen. Or else Stefan may serve as the women's coach and Jason may move over to the men's side.

To me, this is nothing more than the bureaucratic solution I predicted Grace would devise to get around any nepotism restrictions and keep Jason as women's coach. She has simply created an additional organizational layer between herself and the golf coaches. This means she can deny that it was she who hired Jason, and Jason won't report directly to her and won't have his performance reviews done by her.

This is a transparently cynical personnel move and a waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am 

I was mistaken. Jason is at Glen Flora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 am 

Just noticed that Kyle Stefan has a Peter Griffin chin-thing going:

Image Image

Also, job postings are finally up on Loyola's website for two assistant golf coaches positions:

https://www.careers.luc.edu/applicants/ ... 7010110748

Reading between the lines of these two postings, I think my prediction that Jason Calhoun will be brought back in some capacity might prove false.

The first assistant job will undoubtedly go to a woman to satisfy the Code of Political Correctness. They probably have a candidate in mind already, one who is "Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Certified". Adding stupid/restrictive credential requirements like this to a job posting is a sure sign that a candidate with those specific credentials has been preselected.
Jason Calhoun doesn't appear to be Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Certified.

As for the second assistant job, the candidate doesn't have to be TPI Certified, so Calhoun would qualify. But I have my doubts whether he would accept the position where he would be low man on the totem pole.

In any event, we should soon find out, as the fall golf season begins in a couple weeks...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm 

Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Certified is just another way to separate a golfer from his/her money. There isnt just one way to swing a club, never has, but Titleist uses this to create name brand loyality. What you need is a local youth instructor who can pull kids in because at this pay level you will never get a person who could actually do more than keep everyone's score

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 pm 

TPI is more than instructional certification . The main focus is golf specific physical training. I have seen it be very effective and believe TPI is a worthy certification for someone coaching college golf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 am 

Loyola has a new assistant golf coach. No press release; his name was just added unceremoniously to the staff directory.

He is a golf pro at Glen Flora Country Club in Waukegan (sound familiar?), but he isn't who you're probably thinking of...

He is Robert Stock, and he was at the women's tourney in Lemont on Labor Day.

Here's his bio from the PGA website: http://www.pga.com/professionals/robert-b-stock-pga

The other assistant coach position may have been filled too, as the job posting has been pulled from Loyola's website, but I have no info about who might have been hired. I highly doubt it will be Jason Calhoun.

So it appears the Era of Nepotism has drawn to a close, while the Era of Cronyism continues in full flower. I suppose this is a small step in the right direction, but I think it would have been better to make a clean break with the past rather than letting Jason Calhoun handpick his own successor and rigging the selection process.