It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: More Bad Officiating
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am 

On the heels of our Bennett Koch bias, the FBS Championship yesterday had a huge Alabama bias. As a UGA football fan, I thought it might've been sour grapes, but when some of the stories by national media are about officiating, it's bad:

SB Nation: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... p-facemask

SI: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... tart-video

Between those articles and what I recall here's a list of key plays the refs did or didn't make a call in Alabama's favor:

1. UGA blocked a punt, but it was called offsides-replay shows he was onsides. Also, 3 players for Bama had a false start, but that was missed too.
2. The next UGA drive Bama player grabs a Georgia facemask. No penalty resulted in 3rd and 20 instead of 1st down, flipping momentum.
3. On a 80 yard TD throw Georgia's sideline gets called for interference. While it might've happened, I've yet to see a replay or explanation of it actually happening.
4. An Alabama player punched a Georgia player in the facemask. I believe this should've been an ejection, but he remained in the game, and then made a key tackle on a later special teams play.
5. With Georgia's drive about to stall a Bama player shoves the quarterback's head right in front of an official, who apparently didn't see it. Instead of getting in field goal range up 20-10, UGA is forced to punt.
6. On the game tying TD, a WR appears to jump early, but nothing was called.
7. Earlier in the drive, Georgia got a stop after an incomplete pass on 3rd, but the refs called a pass interference. Chris Fowler said he disagreed with the call. I think the ball might've been uncatchable, and that there wasn't enough there, especially for the situation and lack of calls earlier in the game.
8. On a key run by the Bama QB, a guard grabbed a UGA linebacker from behind. The difference is a 3rd and 18 and a 1st down and big momentum.

While refs don't decide the outcome of most games (UGA blew coverage in OT with game in hand, and made a few bad play calls), these things get frustrating for fans, players, and coaches. We were all upset with Koch getting every call, and know that the game is completely different if he's not getting everything. I think I realized that until a team or player "proves themselves" the officials aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt. And that while they may not explicitly know it, subconsciously the "better" team or player will get their calls, and the other team needs to fight past it. Maybe one day the Dawgs and the Ramblers will get the calls!

Post subject: Re: More Bad Officiating
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
On the heels of our Bennett Koch bias, the FBS Championship yesterday had a huge Alabama bias. As a UGA football fan, I thought it might've been sour grapes, but when some of the stories by national media are about officiating, it's bad:

SB Nation: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... p-facemask

SI: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... tart-video

Between those articles and what I recall here's a list of key plays the refs did or didn't make a call in Alabama's favor:

1. UGA blocked a punt, but it was called offsides-replay shows he was onsides. Also, 3 players for Bama had a false start, but that was missed too.
2. The next UGA drive Bama player grabs a Georgia facemask. No penalty resulted in 3rd and 20 instead of 1st down, flipping momentum.
3. On a 80 yard TD throw Georgia's sideline gets called for interference. While it might've happened, I've yet to see a replay or explanation of it actually happening.
4. An Alabama player punched a Georgia player in the facemask. I believe this should've been an ejection, but he remained in the game, and then made a key tackle on a later special teams play.
5. With Georgia's drive about to stall a Bama player shoves the quarterback's head right in front of an official, who apparently didn't see it. Instead of getting in field goal range up 20-10, UGA is forced to punt.
6. On the game tying TD, a WR appears to jump early, but nothing was called.
7. Earlier in the drive, Georgia got a stop after an incomplete pass on 3rd, but the refs called a pass interference. Chris Fowler said he disagreed with the call. I think the ball might've been uncatchable, and that there wasn't enough there, especially for the situation and lack of calls earlier in the game.
8. On a key run by the Bama QB, a guard grabbed a UGA linebacker from behind. The difference is a 3rd and 18 and a 1st down and big momentum.

While refs don't decide the outcome of most games (UGA blew coverage in OT with game in hand, and made a few bad play calls), these things get frustrating for fans, players, and coaches. We were all upset with Koch getting every call, and know that the game is completely different if he's not getting everything. I think I realized that until a team or player "proves themselves" the officials aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt. And that while they may not explicitly know it, subconsciously the "better" team or player will get their calls, and the other team needs to fight past it. Maybe one day the Dawgs and the Ramblers will get the calls!

So many of those were simple calls, too. The offsides on the punt was amazing. I couldn't hear the announcers. Did they comment on it at the time? I saw the one replay during the game showing it was obvious he did not cross the line of scrimmage.

The sideline interference had no impact on the game, but I have no idea what they called there, either.