It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm 

December 3, 2018 is the 200th anniversary of Illinois becoming a state. Usually, states put together bigger celebrations and commemorations than Illinois has done.

I recently did some genealogy research and found that on my maternal grandmother's side, my relatives founded the town of Minier, Illinois in Tazewell County back in the 1840s. There's a small cemetery in Armington, Illinois that's about 25% composed of my distant relatives. They had many sons, brothers, and cousins that fought in the Civil War. After the 1880s, most of them scattered to Nebraska and California.

I came here to live in 1985, and have lived here all but a few months since then. As an adult with choices, I've lived in California, Virginia, Washington, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I've been to 47 out of 50 states, and I've traveled to many states in the Midwest, South and West over the past few years.

I'm pretty happy to live in Illinois. I like most of the people here, at least in my part of the state (the Chicago area). I'm proud that the state has produced Obama, Reagan and Lincoln as Presidents, and dozens of other figures who have been emblematic of American progress and culture-- Orson Welles, Everett Dirksen, Adlai Stevenson, Ernest Hemingway, Louis Sullivan, Walt Disney, Preston Sturges, Bob Newhart, Frank Lloyd Wright, Ida B. Wells, Hillary Clinton, Hugh Hefner, Daniel Burnham, Jack Benny, etc.

Skyscrapers, House Music, Ferris Wheels, Improv Comedy, gracious losers who appreciate the game or the endeavor itself and get something out of it even though they don't get the top title...... All invented here.

I'm pretty pissed off when governors (who oddly, all happen to be Republicans....) from states like Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan and Missouri take pot-shots at Illinois and try to lure business and jobs away.

So Happy Birthday, Illinois. Somebody should probably say it. I'm very happy to say it.