It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 pm 

I don't know about anybody else, but I constantly find myself having to edit my posts because they run afoul of the arbitrary and restrictive limit of 60,000 characters. With the average length of an English word being five letters, that means my posts can be no longer than 12,000 words, hardly sufficient to develop my diatribes against the Calhouns with any depth or nuance. I feel the readers are being shortchanged in having to settle for a "Reader's Digest" version of Swella.

Rambler63, please remove the 60,000 character limit...AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT YOU MIGHT WANT TO INCREASE THE SIZE LIMITATION ON IMAGES TOO. I can edit the text of my posts, but sometimes I can't find an appropriate image that isn't too big.

Sincerely,

swellafelon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Admin

It's tighter than you think, Swella. You are forgetting punctuation, which counts as characters. Brot rarely ends a paragraph with fewer than three exclamation marks. In your post above, you used one ellipsis, two quotation marks, and several commas. And guess what? I think empty spaces between words might count also. So you may THINK you have 12,000 words, but it's probably closer to 9000-- hardly enough for a decent academic journal article, even without footnotes.