It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ramblermania Flashbacks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Loyola's 5'8" David Bailey boxes out for a rebound against DePaul's 6'9" Sam Hoskin on January 2, 2003. Photo by Brian M. Payne.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:47 pm 

October 15, 2005
By: [REDACTED]

Quote:
The jury is still out on Whitesell in a number of areas. It’s unknown as to whether he can keep players from transferring as they learn and improve. It’s unknown as to whether he will be able to adjust to the poaching of his assistants as word spreads that this program is very solid. It’s unknown as to whether Coach Whitesell will be able to counter when other coaches and teams inevitably adjust to his coaching principles and philosophy. It’s unknown as to whether his first, ostensibly excellent recruiting class represents one fortunate effort or whether it can be sustained from year to year. It’s still a question as to how long Loyola might be able to keep him if he continues on the present successful track. And there are always injuries, unexpected circumstances, rebuilding years, incidents of bad luck, etc.

These are all questions for the future. But for right now, Loyola fans are able to command respect and hold their heads higher at every venue around the league than at any time in nearly a generation. Coach Whitesell has almost singlehandedly turned the Ramblers from a punch line into a powerhouse.

Now that's a flashback!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:58 am 

I like ahunte's respect for the history of Loyola basketball and Ramblermania, as demonstrated by his frequent trips to the archives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Blast from the past.

At that time, Loyola had recently beaten UIC to end the career of Ced Banks (the kid who hit a nutty fallaway jumper with a few seconds left in overtime to keep us out of the 2002 NCAA Tournament). Sophomore Blake Schilb had been established as a point-forward. Talented 6' 11" Center Tyrelle Blair had just announced he was moving to Boston College, and assistant Howard Moore was going to Wisconsin. Loyola had been predicted last in 2004-05, but managed to tie for 4th, earning a 5th seed in the conference tournament.

The next year yielded a 4th place finish, and the following year earned a 3rd-- the best finish in the conference and first 20-win season since 1985.

I can't even remember at this point if that was me writing that, but I would stand by it. Mostly true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:22 pm 

Ive got more where that came from!

It was indeed you who authored that piece. It was pretty balanced, really. I was just (re)amazed at how quickly things fell apart.

There was quite a turnaround early on as JW began, you know, coaching the team during games.