It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

If you haven't been to Normal for several years, or have never been, you might be in for a surprise. Normal is now a town of about 54,000 people, bordering against Bloomington, which has about 77,000. The two cities are among the fastest-growing towns in downstate Illinois.

Normal, home to Illinois State University, has gone through a huge redevelopment of its downtown (re-branded as "Uptown Normal" to differentiate between Downtown Bloomington). The once-sleepy and neglected business district features a new traffic circle with a fountain, a new multimodal transportation facility that serves as City Hall and Amtrak station, new restaurants, and a new 9-story Marriott Hotel and Convention Center.

Normal's new Amtrak station is the second-busiest Amtrak station in the state after Chicago, and the fourth-busiest Amtrak station in the Midwest after Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Louis. There are five Amtrak trains daily in each direction between Chicago and Normal, with two or more trains per day that will soon be added. The route features a higher-speed section between Dwight and Pontiac where the trains reach 110 mph, and other higher speed sections will be added soon. Normal has two exits off I-55. Coming from Chicago, it's easier and more direct to take the Main Street South exit.

The best restaurants in Normal include Medici (casual Italian-Mediterranean in Uptown), Destihl (eclectic restaurant-brewery), The Rock (Middle Eastern in Uptown), and The Garlic Press (gourmet deli in Uptown). I haven't been to the restaurant in the Marriott, Jesse's Grill, but I've heard good things. Maggie Miley's is an OK Irish pub/restaurant, Firehouse Pizza is OK but won't knock your socks off, and Merry Ann's Diner is mediocre 24/7 American diner fare. There are a few sports bars with food (Pub II, Lunker's, and Brewe-Ha's) on the eastern edge of Uptown. There are many chain restaurants and a few ethnic restaurants around town and further from the business district.

One place for Chicago area people to AVOID is the incredibly over-rated Avanti's, which has perhaps the worst and most flavorless Italian food I've ever had in my life, like the product of an evil science experiment. The quality and presentation is below what you'd expect from the refrigerated section of a convenience store -- but for some bizarre reason people around here rave about it.

Map (pdf): http://www.isbe.state.il.us/grants/pdf/ ... a_eats.pdf

Redbird Arena and the other ISU sports facilities are within a longish (1/2 mile to 3/4 mile) walk west from Uptown and the train station. Downtown Bloomington is approximately three miles south of Uptown Normal. The area features many nice golf courses, a 25-mile network of bicycle trails, an indoor rock climbing gym, one of the oldest zoos in America, and a couple of historic districts of interest.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:25 pm 

I also understand that Bloomington-Normal has a progressive public transportation system, but i might be mistaken...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

swellafelon wrote:
I also understand that Bloomington-Normal has a progressive public transportation system, but i might be mistaken...

Funny you mention that.... It certainly does... Here is a real-time route map that tracks every bus in the Connect Transit system:

http://connect.doublemap.com/map/

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 pm 

I have not been to Normal in a few years, but in the late 90's and early 2000's, when my sons attended ISU, I thought that Micheleo's made the best pizza in the campus area.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

JC64 wrote:
I have not been to Normal in a few years, but in the late 90's and early 2000's, when my sons attended ISU, I thought that Micheleo's made the best pizza in the campus area.

Micheleo's had great pizza, but the people who bought it seven or eight years ago refused to pay sales taxes (which they happily collected from many customers like me), and they were shut down in 2010.

http://www.pantagraph.com/business/loca ... 03286.html

Tobin's Pizza-- on Main Street, just over the border from Normal-- took over their recipe. I haven't tried it to see if it's the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 am 
Site Admin

So who's coming to Normal on January 11? Does anyone want to plan a get-together, or need tips on where to stay, etc?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am 

I'm considering a trip down. If I do, I will probably drive back to Chicago the same night.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

ahunte1 wrote:
I'm considering a trip down. If I do, I will probably drive back to Chicago the same night.

You mean my extensive travel logue didn't convince you to partake of the exciting Bloomington-Normal nightlife?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:25 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:
You mean my extensive travel logue didn't convince you to partake of the exciting Bloomington-Normal nightlife?

Well, when you put it that way... NO! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:43 pm 

I'm officially staying in Chicago. Hope to make it to Lizzie's to watch with the gang. Bring us a winner, Rambler 63!