It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Avatar Bank
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
There is a reply button at the bottom of the thread

I see that now. Still the problem is that you either have to scroll up or down to hit reply.

If the post you want to reply to is in the middle of a page, I think there may be a tendency to reply by hitting "Quote" which you can do without bothering to scroll up or down.

I've seen it on other message boards where every succeeding post on a thread is an ever-lengthening string of quotes until you can't figure out what the latest post has added.

Now I understand what might lead to this-being too lazy to scroll up or down to reach the reply button..

On the old board there was a reply button next to every post, which I think is better, and might eliminate having to plow through ever-longer strings of quotes.

Last edited by swellafelon on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 am 

swellafelon wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

I see that now. Still the problem is that you either have to scroll up or down to hit reply.

If the post you want to reply to is in the middle of a thread, I think there may be a tendency to reply by hitting "Quote" which you can do without bothering to scroll up or down.

I've seen it on other message boards where every succeeding post on a thread is an ever-lengthening string of quotes until you can't figure out what the latest post has added.

Now I understand what might lead to this-being too lazy to scroll up or down to reach the reply button..

On the old board there was a reply button next to every post, which I think is better, and might eliminate having to plow through ever-longer strings of quotes.

This is what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 am 

swellafelon wrote:
swellafelon wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

If the post you want to reply to is in the middle of a thread, I think there may be a tendency to reply by hitting "Quote" which you can do without bothering to scroll up or down.

This is what I'm talking about.

I wonder if it's technically possible to add a reply button next to the quote button on each post?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm 

Here's some other random observations:

1. There seems to be no poll option even though the software provides for one. Was this omission by choice or oversight?

2. When I tried to post an image I got an error message that it was too large. (over 400 x 800 if I recall correctly). Can you adjust the parameters about how large an image may be posted? Larger the better.

3. The tally of the number of posts one has is cumulative and not consecutive, so that you can't tell which post was #5,000, for example, once you've exceeded that number The old board is currently the same, but earlier on each post was numbered consecutively, and stayed that way, which I prefer.

4. When I tried to pm Rambler63 I got an error message that it wasn't authorized because, perhaps, I didn't have a sufficient number of posts. When and under what circumstances are pm's allowed?

5. My biggest problem with the new board is that I can only have one screen name per email address. On the old board I have 9 screen names: swellafelon, swellafella, Falafelon, Felondo, stellafelon, Pope Jump Ball II, ramblerbymarriage, Brown Betsy and BullfrogsAldoRay.
I have fun with my many alter egos and hate to give them up. Is there any work-around for this problem that the software may provide?
-------

On the positive side, I like the look and format of the new board, and the prospect of linking it up to new landing page. In fact, if I were a poster starting out from scratch with no "legacy" to consider, I would prefer the new board. But as it stands, my losing most of my virtual buddies in the switchover outweighs, for me anyway, the plusses.

Of course I'll sign up with the new board. (I already have). And I also recognize and appreciate all the hard work you put into the new board.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 am 

Thanks for being so accommodating to my "special needs"!

I am looking forward to reuniting with my old buddies on the new board, and maybe introducing new characters as the situation demands. Am now a big fan of new board.

One thing I noticed when replying to your pm is that on the email form there IS a reply button next to the quote button. I wonder why they didn't configure the message board the same way...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Admin

swellafelon wrote:
One thing I noticed when replying to your pm is that on the email form there IS a reply button next to the quote button. I wonder why they didn't configure the message board the same way...

Maybe the thought process was that if people replied to a post in mid-topic, it's unclear as to which post someone is replying to unless it's specifically addressed to the author. The quote feature does the same thing, except it quotes the whole post. It's possible to delete parts of the quote in your reply, or bold a specific sentence or phrase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 am 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this is going to be a problem or not.

I really don't like it when posts regurgitate prior posts for no particular reason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm 

I thought you were a big fan of regurgitation. I mean, why else would you like spending time in various vomitoriums?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm 

The plural of vomitorium is vomitoria; Pam Zeckman would have known that. I should know, since I'm Pam Zeckman (at least that's what Rambler63 thinks...)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 pm 

No one ever said I was flawless...

Where's Pam Zeckman when you need her?