It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:26 pm 

What is divisive about trying to reduce the prevalence of sexual assaults on campuses?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:28 pm 

It leads to vandalism at Fraternities that have been falsely accused of rape, for one thing...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:44 pm 

This article expresses better than I could my position on the issue.

http://time.com/30545/its-time-to-end-r ... -hysteria/

Edited to fix link

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:16 pm 

We're entering needless distraction and non-sequitur territory here on this area of the board, especially considering we just finished a great tournament last night. We've had our say, and you've made your point. Probably time to let this thread sink. There are a lot of more relevant discussions we could be having. Any more posts on this and it's going to have to be moved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:36 pm 

I'm okay with that. Why don't you move it now so anybody who's interested can continue the discussion.

You're welcome to join in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:02 pm 

Further explains why this issue is political and divisive:

https://college.usatoday.com/2014/12/15 ... rape-hoax/

I voted for Obama twice and am a lifelong Dem (more of a populist than a liberal), but I think on the "rape culture" issue Obama is pandering to the feminist extremists in the party and is misguided.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:52 am 

Wow! I seldom agree with the things that Swella posts, but he hit this one right on the head. The first time this video ran at a game which I attended, I was not really paying attention. But, when it was shown again, I was offended that Loyola University was showing this politically correct tripe to Rambler fans who showed up to watch a basketball game. The fact that it featured crazy Joe Biden and the Liar in Chief of the U.S., made it doubly repulsive. I expressed my disappointment to Pat Schultz, who appeared to just laugh it off. I was reluctant to initiate a thread on this topic because I would probably be accused of being a conservative radical, which I am not. I much more in the libertarian camp than the conservative. Unlike Swella I did not vote for Obama. I recognized that he was totally incompetent and a threat to the security of our great nation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:08 am 

The only PSA I've seen at WSU games are the "Don't Leave Early" spots filmed by WSU to get people to stay to the final buzzer.

I'm pretty much in agreement with those who dislike this sort of thing. I understand why the NFL is running a similar campaign as they've been hit with high profile incidents. But this isn't a major issue across the country on college campuses. Does it happen from time to time? Sure it does. But it's not like college campuses are a breeding ground for such things and I'd bet that the percentages would show that it's not where most happen. I can understand why people would be irritated by this being shown every game as it has nothing to do with Loyola or any problem going on on campus. The fact that it's being pushed by the White House also says a lot to me. I don't care if you voted for the administration or not, their priorities since the beginning have been pretty messed up in my opinion. They're obsessed with political correctness and if you ask me, all of this PC crap has done more to divide and complicate things than it ever has helped anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:30 am 

Thanks, Sub, for the report from WSU that government-sponsored PSAs are not on the menu there.

Note to ahunte: Not trying to pick on you, but do you see now that this issue is in fact political and divisive, regardless of one's position on it? It implicates identity politics, gender politics, and party politics, and maybe even generational and class politics. It is one hot potato.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:45 pm 

I'm in the early stages of planning my TAKE BACK THE HALFTIME campaign. Any suggestions as to strategy and tactics (petitions, civil disobedience, enhanced interrogation methods, computer hacking, beheadings, etc.) would be appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next