It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 am 

I didn't know where to put this, but it seemed off topic from the typical sports banter. I came across this story yesterday, so I apologize if it's already been discussed here. I was completely unaware of this amazing initiative. This is truly the Jesuit way and makes me proud to be a Rambler.

They asked students to vote on a fee of $2.50 each semester to help DREAMers. The results are in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:28 pm 

I did not realize that the Loyola student government had the power to impose a tax on all Loyola students.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:47 pm 

JC64 wrote:
I did not realize that the Loyola student government had the power to impose a tax on all Loyola students.

it is a little-known provision of Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 am 

I was stunned to read LOYOLA's name mentioned in the NEWS along with Mizzou--Did LUC students actually march or protest ??What was the problem?? Racism on Campus ? Or was it merely getting solid with Mizzou. I cannot believe Racism at LUC exists--Oh maybe there might be an isolated case or two--But widespread ?? NO WAY !! I am told that LOYOLA, today, is much more Lib than Con. OK , but students are there to LEARN not to march around --Time there is too costly to spend on stuff such as this. LUC in my time was not as enlightened as now--BUT I can say that I NEVER looked down at anyone nor did my friends
My thought is for students to buckle down and do what they are supposed to do== STUDY and LEARN, it costs thousands of students' or their parents' dollars. It is a tough world out there--see PARIS--Now THAT IS real trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:34 pm 

It was to show solidarity with Missouri students. They've been doing the same at Yale and other schools.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 pm 

Over the years I have has the opportunity to work with many students in this situation as well as running a community organization for a Latino community. Many very hard working deserving students who have been caught in the middle. Was very proud to see this as well as Aruppe Campus downtown. http://luc.edu/arrupe/