It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Struggling Fall Sports
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 pm 

Things were looking up as the preseason polls came out in August, but Loyola's fall sports teams have struggled mightily in the early going. The most obvious case is the men's soccer team. After being picked to finish first in the league, getting votes for a national ranking, sporting the longest home undefeated streak in D1, and starting the season with an OT road win against a Big East team, the Ramblers have been pretty awful. They stumbled against Valpo in their home opener, followed that disaster with a 1-0 loss to Texas Rio Grande Valley (a 2-game home losing streak to follow a 28-game home undeafeated streak?), and lost last night at Bradley to go 0-2-0 in conference. Ouch.

Women's Volleyball has been almost as horrible, stumbling out to a 1-8 record. But what's even more demoralizing is the beat-downs they're getting-- getting swept by four of their last five opponents, struggling to put double-digit points on the board in blowout sets. Moreover, the Ramblers are losing to mediocre teams; Loyola lost 3-0 to DePaul (who was beaten 3-0 by conference rival Indiana State, their only win of the season); Loyola also lost to Fairfield, Seattle, and Milwaukee (swept at home). This was after the squad was picked fourth in the preseason poll.

The bright spot of the fall season has been women's soccer. Loyola is off to a 5-3 start which includes a win over Indiana State giving the team a 1-0 start in conference play, and an impressive 3-0 win at Iowa. Women's soccer was picked for third place among the eight teams that play in the MVC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am 

Men's soccer results have definitely been disappointing, but the women's team has added two more wins including a 2-0 win over DePaul yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

Man, what's up with the volleyball team?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:20 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Man, what's up with the volleyball team?

Yeah, and they were picked to finish FOURTH in the league.

The team lost last year's best player Morgan Reardon to graduation, and they don't have any Seniors on the roster. But still.... to go 1-18, with the only win against Samford at home.... And aside from the Samford 3-1 win, they didn't win two sets in a match until their 17th match of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm 

In a less glorious sport, the cross country teams are doing well, especially the women. The women are currently ranked 11th in the Midwest regional, ahead of UNI who was picked to win the Valley this year:

http://www.ustfccca.org/2017/10/feature ... ngs-week-5

Lindsey Brewis has been the brightest spot winning Valley Cross Country Athlete of the Week twice. On the men's side Alex Baker has had some strong runs, including a 5th place finish at the Notre Dame Invitational where the team beat UNI badly, and lost to Indiana St by 2 points.

The Conference Championship is October 26. I think the men look like they'll be middle of the pack, but the women should finish top 3, and have a shot for a championship. My prediction, men finish 5th and the women take 2nd losing only to Bradley.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
In a less glorious sport, the cross country teams are doing well, especially the women. The women are currently ranked 11th in the Midwest regional, ahead of UNI who was picked to win the Valley this year:

http://www.ustfccca.org/2017/10/feature ... ngs-week-5

Lindsey Brewis has been the brightest spot winning Valley Cross Country Athlete of the Week twice. On the men's side Alex Baker has had some strong runs, including a 5th place finish at the Notre Dame Invitational where the team beat UNI badly, and lost to Indiana St by 2 points.

The Conference Championship is October 26. I think the men look like they'll be middle of the pack, but the women should finish top 3, and have a shot for a championship. My prediction, men finish 5th and the women take 2nd losing only to Bradley.

It's unbelievable and really commendable how much our cross country/track and field programs do with less than ideal facilities. I know lacrosse gets bandied around as a sport we might add in the future, but I'd rather not spend the money on adding it and instead try to build a fieldhouse for the track and field team to practice in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
It's unbelievable and really commendable how much our cross country/track and field programs do with less than ideal facilities. I know lacrosse gets bandied around as a sport we might add in the future, but I'd rather not spend the money on adding it and instead try to build a fieldhouse for the track and field team to practice in.

I haven't heard talk about lacrosse, but then again I've never asked. I hope the new basketball/court sport practice facility will have a real space for track and field also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 am 

I just raised my fist in the air as I found out that Loyola Women's Volleyball just won it's second match of the year!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 pm 

Women's soccer wins their MVC tourney rd 1 game against Valpo. Will play Missouri St. in the semifinals--a team they beat 5-0 just a few weeks ago. Drake is the #1 seed--undefeated in conference and beat the Ramblers 1-0 last week in the regular season finale. Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm 

Loyola needs a new women's volleyball coach per LoyolaRamblers.com. Bring back Shane? Lol