It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 670TheScore
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 am 

I was listening to the shows this morning. When they did the sports update each half hour, they recapped the college basketball scores from both the Northwestern game and the DePaul game. There was no mention of Loyola, the local team that made it to the Final Four last year. What a joke.

Post subject: Re: 670TheScore
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 am 

Our AD should call them and ask why. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 am 

Lost cause.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm 

The update that I heard which was around 7:00 A.M. did mention our score along with N.W and DePaul. Mully applauded! I do know what you mean though, often times we are left off. How much longer do you think the score will carry DePaul ... can't be anyone listening!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm 

I heard at least 3 updates in the last few hours of Mully and Haugh that did not mention LU.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:52 pm 

If you want that fixed, the only person to call at WSCR is their advertising executives. If Loyola wanted to buy thirty-second spots or live reads to advertise the home-games, etc., then you'll hear about us on their updates.

Radio is a dying medium filled with commercials for boner pills and solicitations to reverse-mortgage your house. It's a medium that still does traffic and weather on the 8's, even though everyone has a phone that gives traffic and weather instantly. Sports radio takes from "Spanky in Elgin" on who is better, 2014 Lebron or 1992 Jordan, get pretty tiresome too...

I might be a little bitter toward radio, but some of the stuff from last year (while i was glad to get the coverage), annoyed me. Like the fact that we were completely ignored on WSCR (other than Mully) until Sister Jean made us national headlines... Radio just seems so unimportant now with things like ESPN3, twitter, ESPN Score updates, etc..

I would find it very hard to believe that either the radio station or DePaul is benefiting significantly from broadcasting live "Blue Demon Basketball" in mind-blowing mono on the AM dial in 2019.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:56 pm 

Believe it or not more people still tune into the radio daily then stream stuff......The Score does dp games and U of I and NU advertises like crazy....but still very concerning that after the Final Four we still unable to get a radio deal......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 pm 

I've heard details from people in the know of the DPU/The Score contract. It's a massive financial commitment on DePaul's part and the games have virtually zero listeners. It's apparently a little embarrassing for the station to have programming with that tiny of an audience, but the money is good enough that they're fine with basically an infomercial for Depaul basketball. As much as we all would want more traditional media exposure like a radio contract to shut up a jackass like Dan Bernstein, it's probably not worth it or even in the best interests of our program.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 pm 

I don't think it's the fact that the radio broadcasts are on a "big" station, I think the fact that there ARE broadcasts at all is really the point.

The size and the stature and the signal reach of the station doesn't really matter. You can put them on WLUW, and you can stream them through WLUW's site or Loyola athletics. But having a consistent, professional broadcast as a flagship of the media coverage of the team is important.

If you have a professional flagship broadcast, even if it's hardly listened to, you own the audio description for promotional video, tv broadcast, etc. With the hodge-podge of tv and streaming video availability to follow the games this year, I would have depended on the broadcast/audio stream (if it existed) to follow for several visiting games.

In addition to the audio broadcast itself, you also have a play-by-play and color commentary media person able to speak as a (seemingly) third-party expert on Loyola when needed. They could do podcasts, videos, and other commentary/analysis media to promote the program between games.

That's why it's important. I still think you need all those things even if radio is a dying medium as Toledo suggests. If anything, technology has allowed us to BYPASS broadcast radio stations entirely if needed. The point is the content of the broadcast and having it available for listening, not the supposed prestige of dial position.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 am 

Does anyone know why the streaming broadcasts and WLUW pregame show are both gone?

I mean, we had streaming audio even for road games early in the Porter era when nobody cared. The pre- and postgame interviews were a great way to get some insight on the team.