It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Did anyone notice if Chastain and the Ramblers were cordial ?

Also, what was the Rambler fan reaction to Chastain? I assume that the players and coaches were pretty cordial and it looked like that from what I saw on TV. Also, Marques gave Matt a compliment in his post game comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
natetheskate wrote:

Also, what was the Rambler fan reaction to Chastain? I assume that the players and coaches were pretty cordial and it looked like that from what I saw on TV. Also, Marques gave Matt a compliment in his post game comments.

From my perspective, the fan reaction to Chastain was one of indifference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm 

Had a chance two years ago in St. Thomas to talk to Chastain's parents. Very nice people indeed Good friends with the Baughman's. Not surprised that Chastain transferred as I think he preferred more of a smaller town culture. Chicago can be intimidating.
There was, and is far as I know still is, a rule that says you cannot transfer to another MVC school. I asked the AD about it and he said that Loyola approved a waiver.
So there should not a basis for any hard feelings. There is a natural tendency to want to perform well against a team you left.
I thought Chastain played well but there was not any overwhelming evidence that his talent was so dominating as to be missed at Loyola.
I was surprised he started but who knows the reason for that.
In my opinion Evans and Yarborough stood out for ISU.
Any reason why Yarborough did not play the last two minutes. There was a turnover on a pass that he threw under the basket and he seemed upset about it. Came out after that.
So since it did not appear to be an injury it appears there was another cause but I do not know what.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm 

I think it was as simple as Dan muller taking Yarbrough out because he became a potential liability for them mounting a comeback. Yarbrough turned the ball over twice on to bad passes in the last two minutes of the game, and after the second one, walking down to the other end of the court, he was visibly distraught, upset and sulking. It looked like one of his teammates tried to set him right but he wasn’t having it.

Then, presumably, in the timeout Muller said something to him, and Yarbrough must have reacted in a way he didn’t like and he didn’t go back in the game. Emotions just got the best of him. I could understand that if he was an underclassmen, but at this stage in his career he needs to stay composed. That guy is a perfect example of how important Porter’s recruiting is. He has all the talent in the world, but would not be a good fit in Porter’s system. Attitude and buy-in are the two things that don’t show up in statistics but are vital to the program we are building. One player’s attitude could tarnish the culture of your team and impact games. That very well could have been what happened to Illinois State yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 pm 

After Chastain had the come-from-behind block on Townes on what appeared to be a fast break layup, Marques gave him a nod and a high five recognizing that he got him good. Cool moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:31 pm 

I tried to start a traitor chant towards Chastain,but got no support.
I don’t think I could handle a Rambler with a man bun and girls soccer headband, so I’m ok with the transfer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
RamblinTank22 wrote:
natetheskate wrote:

From my perspective, the fan reaction to Chastain was one of indifference.

You're assuming that more than thirty people at the game knew that Chastain once wore a Loyola jersey.

I did really miss the student section. The ISU fans were rowdy and there wasn't really a vibe to match from the Loyola fans in attendance.

Let's see if we can build some momentum on Tuesday. Even if it's not a W it would be nice to see the offense get in a rhythm. Hard to see us losing though if that's the case. I'll miss the game because I'll be at the first game of my own mens league basketball game. I've chosen to model my game after Krutwigs because I don't really have any other choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
I did really miss the student section. The ISU fans were rowdy and there wasn't really a vibe to match from the Loyola fans in attendance.

What game were you watching? ISU fans were mostly quiet until they made their run late in the second half.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm 

Closest margin of victory before that game was the 9 point win @ UIC which that game wasn't as close as score indicates. Nice to finally win a close one after losing the Saint Joes, Furman and Ball State games

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 am 

There is no substitute for victory. The days of playing well but losing are over. We were a Final Four team and I expect that this coach and staff will sustain a level of excellence. We lost close games that last year we won. I attribute that to integrating new players into the system.
Now that the Valley component to the season is here, there is no learning curve. Lets just get it done. Time to step up to any and all challengers whether at home or on the road. Custer and Townes should have that swagger of a champion that we are and that attitude should transfer as part of our "culture" to the new players. Valpo is good but we have played better teams this year.
Should be a fun night. Hope the weather does not impede the crowd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next