It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 am 

JCT wrote:
Sloth84 wrote:
Very surprised that Negron did not get more time in the second half. Porter was very slow to go to the bench given that we had a 20+ point lead the second half. I guess he wanted to make a statement.

Either way - a huge win. Next up - 2 winnable road games against bottom half teams. Let's get them both.

Valpo kept many of their starters in through the final minute. Smits committed his last foul with about a minute left. Golder, a starter who had played 33 minutes and had already earned a technical foul, fired up a three with 4 seconds left and a 20 point deficit while we had at least two walk ons for the final minute an nothing but bench players in for the last 2 1/2. They wanted to close the deficit to make it less embarrassing, even as we had thrown in the towel.

And how about Sackey throwing his entire body on Clayton Custer to prevent a breakaway layup in the first half? As the Valpo fan who sat behind me and screamed "YEAAAHHHHH!!!!!" at the back of my neck every time Valpo made a bucket said, "That's just a good basketball play."

I used to care about the "starters" thing more, but with the way teams can shoot now, a 20 point lead can become 11 real fast, and then you would want your best players in the game.

JCT it sounds like you need better seats next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:25 am 

The Valpo fans sitting by JCT apparently weren't as obnoxious as the Redbird fans. At least that is my surmise as JCT didn't post any scathing restaurant review of the popular Valparaiso eatery Kelsey's Steak House.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am 

There were quite a few Valpo folks in my section as well (seems their alumni organization had some kind of event, they all had name tags on). At first it was a bit of a tense situation, with some of their people yelling at or making passive aggressive comments about the Loyola fans who were "standing" too much in the rows in front of them. Everyone talked it out though and shared some beers, the Valpo people were good folks. Very knowledgeable too and have to tip the cap to getting that amount of traveling fans.

As for the game, I was very happy to see that the team came out and played with a sense of purpose. I liked the shorter rotation, though I continue to think Isaiah should get Bruno's minutes if were going with a shorter rotation. I thought the Freeman vs Lucas matchup was a nice side story, gosh would Freeman have looked good on our roster.

Bummed we dont get a home game for another 2 weeks, but hopefully we can get some road Ws and keep things rolling into SIU.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am 

Apparently there was a mugging or something that delayed the game on TV, does anyone know what happened with that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am 

Whomever bought the season tickets around me has evidently used their tickets to be sold to the highest bidders online. There were Canadian tourists behind me for the Furman game, which wasn't so bad. But man, the ISU and Valpo people were awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm 

The thing I’m most happy about in conference play so far is Uguak. He has been contributing, but most importantly, he has not been making mistakes. He really seems like he’s coming along and learning his role. I hope he continues getting better!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
Apparently there was a mugging or something that delayed the game on TV, does anyone know what happened with that?

For serious?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:30 pm 

Huh? What does delayed the game on TV mean?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm 

I was watching from home, and there didn’t seem to be a delay. Was there?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 pm 

Disregard, I embarrassingly took a tweet literally from Porters Jacket and the game stopped working on my iPad at the same time Hahahaha. I’m assuming the tweet was referring to a nice ramblers steal.