It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:07 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
Yeah there was an email

Guess I gotta figure out why I'm not on the distribution list. Odd.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm 

At the outset of this drama, I thought there would only by a 15% chance Moser would leave. I wrote about how unsure the St. John's job was, how short a leash he would have there, the New York real estate market, his kids and their school life (at Loyola Academy), and NYC media and traffic. I thought that short of offering him 2-3 times as much money, he'd say no.

Then I saw how much attention the story got, and how much and how long St. John's was offering.... Then I thought it was like a 40% chance he would leave.

I was surprised by the press coverage it got. When I left work today, I took a look at Bing News, and it was one of the top stories: "Loyola-Chicago Coach Moser Turns Down St. John's" was the headline with a smiling picture of Moser standing on the sidelines during a game. At lunchtime I heard The Score do two segments on it. I saw the MVCfans site had a poll on who should replace Moser, because no one at other MVC schools could imagine somebody turning down St. John's to stay in Peoria, Terre Haute, Normal, or Springfield.

It certainly makes you feel pretty good about where we are as a program right now. Our coach turned down $18 million over 8 years at a legendary Big East school to stay at Loyola. The decision gets some national publicity, and a lot of local and regional coverage. And we don't have to spend another month hand-wringing over who would be our next coach (especially now that Mullins is gone).

Six years ago when we joined the MVC, the battle cry was "Nobody cares/talks about Loyola in Chicago" and "Moser is a horrible coach, probably the worst in the league." There were people who admired our fiscal health and aspiration, but there wasn't much respect for us as an excellent school, for the city we're located in, for our potential, for our history, for our solid committment to get somewhere close to where we are now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm 

I'm so glad he stayed. Time to finish what he started... Finish line NC2A CHAMPIONSHIP :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm 

I thought this was the most interesting quote in the Trib article.

Quote:
Moser met with those players Tuesday afternoon.

“He looked them in the eye and let them know before anyone,” assistant coach Drew Valentine said. “There was a sense of relief and there were a lot of smiles, the biggest we’ve seen in a while.

I don't know if we appreciated how much pressure the team felt last year. Hoping they can play free and easy next year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm 

Hey...
1....first I was optomistic...thought no way he leaves
2. Then I got worried
3. Then I got mad\
4. I am trying to move beyond skeptical to puzzled.
5. Hoping to make it all the way back

ALSO DID ANYONE NOTICE IN THE TRIBUNE ARTICLE HE SAID TWO commits Sunday???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm 

Nate, check 2019 recruiting thread for identity of second commit. Hint: his initials are Jalon Pipkins.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 am 

saw it right after I posted.......have been busy with my psychotherapist for the last 24 hrs...........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 pm 

01grad wrote:

They do have *a* tradition, no question. But, they really haven’t done much since the days when Eddie Murphy was holding court outside of the bathroom at MSG during halftime.

YES! YES! F*UCK YOU TOO!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:11 am 

Now that we've past this phase, I post the following for those some people who just like to watch the world burn...

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/st-johns- ... %20buttons

https://media.giphy.com/media/QLyhWVTvA ... 200w_d.gif

Philosophical question: at this point if you're St. John's, do you go back to Moser secretly and give him $3-4 million plus a year for 12 years just to get this over with?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:51 am 

Now that is some good pot-stirring!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next