It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019-2020 Schedule
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 pm 

I’ll take a power 5 game on a truly neutral court every year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:36 am 

It'll also be a good test against new Vandy coach Jerry Stackhouse and a team that went winless in conference play and won 9 total games all year.

Some notable info I found...looks like a very young team with one senior on the roster who had little contribution last year, only return 2 of their top 5 scorers, and also welcome Scottie Pippen's son to the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am 

So here is Northwesterns non-con home schedule.(with commentary)...They will be really inexperienced and just had a really big blow losing their top recruit for next year after he had signed....3 returners transferred including Benson to SIU. How do you think it compares to ours ?
Quincy - exhibition
Merrimack - new to D1 (NEC conference)
Providence - 79 (4-seed in NIT), only losing one senior reserve, should be a challenge and a good idea of how f'd we'll be for the year
Radford - 122, co-conference champs of Big South, lost 1 starter and 1 reserve from last year
Norfolk State - 244, won MEAC, #8 seed in NIT, lost two starters
SIU-Edwardsville - 330
Hartford - 194, graduated literally 93% of their minutes played last year, they will be crap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 pm 

Northwestern’s schedule is obviously set up so the win-loss record doesn’t look as bad as it should be at the end of the season. There’s no doubt they could’ve scheduled us and had a respectable game in their non-con schedule, and chose not to. They did not want to have an additional black eye of losing to us for recruiting, when they’re already going to have to explain an abysmal season to recruits.

I don’t understand what Collins is doing here. I don’t think wins on this schedule buy him job security. Nobody in charge could be that stupid. All their non-conference schedule does is ensure extremely low attendance for their games. It doesn’t prepare them for big 10 play. It doesn’t give them a chance for an an NIT bid. It doesn’t inspire confidence that the program is trying to get better. If I’m a northwestern fan, I’m not happy with it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:06 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Northwestern’s schedule is obviously set up so the win-loss record doesn’t look as bad as it should be at the end of the season. There’s no doubt they could’ve scheduled us and had a respectable game in their non-con schedule, and chose not to. They did not want to have an additional black eye of losing to us for recruiting, when they’re already going to have to explain an abysmal season to recruits.

I don’t understand what Collins is doing here. I don’t think wins on this schedule buy him job security. Nobody in charge could be that stupid. All their non-conference schedule does is ensure extremely low attendance for their games. It doesn’t prepare them for big 10 play. It doesn’t give them a chance for an an NIT bid. It doesn’t inspire confidence that the program is trying to get better. If I’m a northwestern fan, I’m not happy with it at all.

Almost every P-5 plays 8-10 non-con home games against smaller-conference teams willing to get paid. The rest are pre-ordained major-conference challenge games (sometimes/often at neutral courts). They don't NEED to schedule good teams, because if they get lucky against a mid-level conference team at home that's having a bad night, or hit a late 3 in a close low-scoring game, they've got their Tier 1 win or maybe two. Add that to a couple of home wins against the dregs of the conference (who almost invariably also get a lucky win over a decent B16 team, and they've got an 11 or 12 seed if they can finish with 18+ wins and only two games below .500 in conference.

That's why I'd like to load up on scheduling mediocre P5 teams, because often they get lucky and knock off someone good in their conference. Teams like Boston College, Wake Forest, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Oregon State, Stanford, Butler, Providence, St. John's, Missouri, Georgia, etc. If we got three of those teams (or similar) on the schedule every year, we'd probably win one of them, even on the road, if we're really any good. Maybe we get two if we're very good, all three if we're very good AND lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am 

Anyone know where in Phoenix the Vandy game will be played? Planning a trip out there now and looking to book a house somewhere near the stadium. Having trouble finding specifics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:30 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Anyone know where in Phoenix the Vandy game will be played? Planning a trip out there now and looking to book a house somewhere near the stadium. Having trouble finding specifics.

I saw this link that says it'll be at Talking Stick Resort Arena http://www.talkingstickresortarena.com/events/detail/basketball-hall-of-fame-showcase It doesn't list our game, but I wonder if that's because they didn't have the second game at the time of the announcement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am 

Conference schedule announced. Now we wait on the non-conference schedule...

Dec. 30 – at Valparaiso
Jan. 4 – Missouri State
Jan. 7 – at Drake
Jan. 11 – Evansville
Jan. 16 – Southern Illinois
Jan. 19 – at Illinois State
Jan. 22 – Indiana State
Jan. 26 – at UNI
Jan. 29 – at Southern Illinois
Feb. 1 – Bradley
Feb. 5 – at Indiana State
Feb. 9 – Valparaiso
Feb. 12 – at Evansville
Feb. 15 – UNI
Feb. 19 – Illinois State
Feb. 22 – at Missouri State
Feb. 25 – Drake
Feb. 29 – at Bradley
March 5 – at MVC Championship
March 6 – at MVC Championship
March 7 – at MVC Championship
March 8 – at MVC Championship

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am 

Bummer (for me at least) that both SIU games are weeknight games. Missouri State game at Gentile during break isn’t ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:37 pm 

I just noticed that we play each team twice, once at home and once on the road.
Is this something new?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next