It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Summer Updates
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:06 am 

Tim Edmonds from the Phoenix was at practice yesterday. He tweeted several observations here:

https://twitter.com/TimEdmonds_

Post subject: Re: Summer Updates
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am 

For those with a subscription to "The Athletic" (highly recommended if you do not), Loyola got a mention in Mid-major Mailbag column in a question regarding pre-season MVC Player of the year.

"Of course, to the victors go the spoils, and Loyola-Chicago has been the Valley’s big dog the past couple of years. So Ramblers center Cameron Krutwig has to be in the preseason conversation. Juco transfer Jalon Pipkins has been gaining some summer buzz as well for Porter Moser’s team".

Tim Edmonds mentioned Pipkins looked great in the practice he watched in the article above, but I feel I have not seen much else written about him. Bodes well he's getting mentioned, albeit briefly, in national columns.

Also mentioned as potential favorites were Missouri State's Tulio Da Silva and Indiana State's Tyreke Key.

Here's the link to the full article for those with a subscription: https://theathletic.com/1124013/2019/08 ... -and-more/

For those considering a subscription, you get 40% off ($36 instead of $60) for the first year of an annual subscription if you use my link: https://theathletic.com/checkout?pc=raf ... _by=327294

Full disclosure, I get a $25 Amazon gift card for anyone who signs up through that link (If this sort of thing is against some sort of rules of the forum, please let me know an I'll edit to remove this portion of the post).

I'm not affiliated with The Athletic in anyway, I just think they're creating a ton of great content all across the site and some great writers have landed there with the downsizing of other sports sites. Not a ton of Ramblers content on a regular basis, but they'll get mentioned in national articles from time to time and had 1 or 2 larger articles last season. However their writers for the major Chicago sports teams (an I'm sure which ever team/city is your personal favorite) are fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:53 am 

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

If I were to put money on an “under the radar” guy, my money would be on Lucas Williamson. Just a feeling that the kid is due to have a huge year with the skill set he’s shown flashes of the last two years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:18 pm 

It will be interesting to see how Lucas fares offensively this year. I'd expect him to attract a lot more attention, but if Tate Hall can shoot it as advertised, we'll have have some lineups that could be tough to defend. For example: Pipkins/Kennedy, Lucas, Hall, Uguak, Krutwig.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:56 pm 

In this offense I honestly think it's less about how well one person can shoot it and more about how many players can make reliably teams pay when left open. Last year the team had only three players in the rotation shoot above 35% from deep in Custer, Kaifes and Williamson (who only played 16 games). This is the second lowest number in Porters tenure (behind his first season where Ben Averkamp and London Dokubo were the only 2 players over 35%), for comparisons sake, in the prior 4 seasons the Ramblers had:

-6 over 35% in 17-18 (32-6 Final 4)
-5 in 16-17 (18-14)
-4 in 15-16 (15-17)
-7 in 14-15 (24-13, CBI champs)

Last year we didn't have enough efficient shooters that could make open shots, which led to frequent offensive resets as non-shooters passed up decent looks.
My guess for next year is:

-Clemons, Hall, and Wojcik all figure to be able to hit the open 3 at a decent clip.
-I think that Pipkins, Welch, and Kennedy all also should have the ability to hover right around 35% if given the “green light” to shoot in games as well, but I’m far less certain about this group, especially for the freshman.

Add in Williamson and we realistically should have about 5 reliable shooters next year to open things up for the offense some more. This would particularly benefit players like Krutwig and Uguak who shine around the rim. While we may not have the top end guards in Custer and Townes, I think the skillset should be a bit more level, and definitely deeper!

Also worth noting our redshirt transfer Braden Norris can certainly shoot it as well, hitting nearly 67-138 from beyond the arc last year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm 

Great post, Blers. It seemed like that inability to hit from outside was a major factor. Opposing teams were also able to prevent penetration to the lane because of fewer outside weapons, and they had no fear about putting us on the free throw line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:01 pm 

I agree with you, Blers. That's the point I was trying to make: it's going to be essential to have three shooters around Uguak and Krutwig. I just picked Hall, figuring him for a possible starter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
I agree with you, Blers. That's the point I was trying to make: it's going to be essential to have three shooters around Uguak and Krutwig. I just picked Hall, figuring him for a possible starter.

Oh no, I'm totally with you! I just like to have fun with stats too :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm 

With Porter talking about our speed this year, and with the perceived depth of our roster, does anyone see us trying to use a full court press in games this season to try and force more turnovers? It seems like we have the speed and bodies to sub in and out to frustrate teams’ offenses and cause them trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:40 am 

interesting thought.....my gut says Porter is a man of habit and works so hard at stopping teams in their half court sets as well as stopping leading scorers that he would not take the chance...but will be interesting to see if the increased team speed changes anything.