It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: SO SAD TOO BAD !!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:10 pm 

There must e much weeping and gnashing of teeth at Tribune Tower As DEPEWL lost again--This time to mediocre GTN

Post subject: Re: SO SAD TOO BAD !!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm 

It really is quite a breathtaking collapse from where they were in December.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 pm 

If DePaul were smart, they wouldn't necessarily hire Porter, but they would try to hire away Watson to replace their AD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:48 pm 

DePaul with another beatdown over the weekend. They are 1-11 in conference play. Their message board is calling for a coach firing immediately. It doesn’t look like any game left on their schedule is winnable. I understand they’re supposed to have some major recruits coming in, but I can’t help but think it will be coming now.

They have to make a coaching change now, right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:45 pm 

Any program with a reasonable amount of sense would. But, we’re talking about DePaul here, so who knows. Didn’t they just sign him to an extension?

For selfish reasons I hope they don’t. For one thing, we all know a coach who would be at the top of their wish list, and who knows how much they’d try to throw at him.

I don’t think Porter would leave for DePaul after this year, especially with the potential of the team next year. But, it would make me sweat a little. You gotta think some of the factors that kept him from leaving for New York aren’t there with a move a few stops South on the red line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:08 pm 

Just curious.....Does Depaul have more cash than us either though endowment or being in the Big East?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm 

DePaul has a much larger budget and much higher revenue. I have no idea what the Big East TV revenue structure is like, but they're on TV a lot with a deal with Fox Sports. I think their endowment is quite a bit less, but when it comes to athletics, no school should be digging into their endowment other than for capital projects.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 pm 

JCT wrote:
DePaul has a much larger budget and much higher revenue. I have no idea what the Big East TV revenue structure is like, but they're on TV a lot with a deal with Fox Sports. I think their endowment is quite a bit less, but when it comes to athletics, no school should be digging into their endowment other than for capital projects.

I believe this is still the current Big East deal (but I could be wrong). It gives each school roughly 4million/year. That tv money alone would probably pay for our entire basketball budget.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai ... t-MWC.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm 

If the numbers are correct, what has happened to DePaul over the last 15 years is an absolute disaster. DePaul's endowment is approximately $600 million dollars, whereas Loyola's is approximately $750 million. DePaul has squandered every major opportunity they have been given.

Approximate $4 million from TV to secure a winning coach and invest in the program - FAIL.

Opportunity to make their mark in a major conference - FAIL.

Free state-of-the-art arena to re-engage fans and energize their alumni base - FAIL.

Ability to recruit local talent in a world-class basketball city to create a winning program - FAIL.

Playing in a major conference with multiple bids each year with a realistic expectation to make the NCAA tournament - FAIL.

I'm sure if DePaul fans read this post, they would probably have a slew of bad things to say about Loyola, but the fact is -- Loyola has done way more in the past 15 years with way less. DePaul was lucky enough to get an invite to a major conference, and since then, they've completely squandered every opportunity at every corner to elevate their program. DePaul fans would probably try to scream about our attendance -- but the fact is, if we were playing in a conference with "big name" schools, our attendance would be relatively the same, if not better than theirs. They get a lot of bump from people coming to see them play good schools -- they're not coming to see THEM.

And excuses are extremely hard to make when there is an extremely comparable program to them with the same issues, who has thrived in Marquette. Marquette has a comparable endowment of $700 million, and they play in the same conference with the same amount of TV revenue. They have an enrollment of approximately 12,000, which is a little more than half of DePaul's enrollment of approximately 23,000. They play in an NBA arena off-campus (although admittedly not as far away as Wintrust) in a major city. They compete in recruiting against a Big 10 school (Wisconsin), who is similar to DePaul competing for recruits with University of Illinois. Despite this, Marquette has figured out away to secure quality coaches, consistently make the NCAA tournament, and elevate their mid-major school's status to a national reputation.

I'm not picking on DePaul's fans -- Being a fan is tough and the ones that are left -- I respect them for sticking around. My critique is of DePaul's administration who repeatedly and continually fumbled the ball.

I think DePaul is a cautionary tale of "be careful what you wish for." Don't get me wrong - the Big East is an AMAZING conference. When we were both losers, I definitely had a fair amount of jealousy that DePaul was in the Big East and we were in the Horizon -- BUT -- being a loser is still being a loser, no matter what conference you are in. When we made our glorious run and rumors would pop up like, "Maybe Loyola could go to the AAC or the A-12," I immediately think of DePaul... There is something to be said about "right-sizing." At this point in our program's status:

- I would rather play in Gentile and sell out 5 or 6 games in a 5,000 seat arena, then consistently play in a 10,500 seat arena at half-capacity;

- I would rather go 14-4 or 12-6 every year in the MVC with a chance at getting hot in the conference tournament and getting an NCAA bid, then go 4-14 in the Big East and have my team flying all over the east side of the country.

If they are getting 4 million a year to spend on basketball and spending it on the program -- they've gotten 0 results on that investment. If they are banking the money in exchange for taking beatdowns every year in the Big East, okay. But if I was a DePaul fan at this point, I'd want the university to start talking to the AAC, A-12, or MVC about coming in and being their "Big Dog," and start rebuilding the program from the ground up. If they're taking 4 million and spending 4 million - what are they gaining? If it's not money... they are really mismanaging their program. If it is money -- I feel bad that their fans have to endure mediocrity at the hands of an administration who doesn't care about them.