It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 am 

Forced to stay inside so to speak so my wife and I caught up on previously recorded programs that we wanted to see.

WTTW, Channel 11 has a great three hour program entitled Chicago L.
The program traces the history of the subway/Levated in Chicago and reviews every "line"; i.e. red, blue, green, brown etc.
Early in the program ( I will find the minute mark, I think it was the first 40-50 minutes) they had the "red line" and mentioned the Loyola stop.
They had a nice three-four minute segment that mentioned Sister Jean, The Final Four run, clips on the team and the celebration at the Joe.
Also on the campus and particularly Madonna De La Strada chapter (which they said translate loosely as Chapel of the Highway, (Latin scholars please feel free to help out). The entrance to the Chapel faces the lake because the original plan was for the outer drive to be extended north. Interesting!

The show is well worth the watch.
And it was so nice to see the Final Four run mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 am 

My biggest (and worst) memory of the Loyola el stop was in the early 80s when I was riding north from work one rush hour evening. As the train approached the station all of a sudden you heard a loud thumping noise on the platform side of the train cars which travelled rythmically from front to back as the train continued to move.
The passengers in my car were initially stunned and confused; but in a few seconds it simultaneously dawned on almost everybody what had happened...and sadly we were right.
The train had hit somebody who fell off the platform and his body was caught between the platform and train as it entered the station.
I will never forget that sound.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am 

Great post as it reminds us all how you have to be alert on the L platform. I am always amazed at how casual some people are as the train approaches.
I can only imagine what a nightmare that must have been.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:39 am 

Back in 2001, I got sick of the weeknight drive from Aurora to Rogers Parks to watch my brother play. After some research, I discovered the Red Line had a stop right outside the Gentile Center. So for weeknight games for the last three years of his playing career, I would take the Metra in from Aurora to Union Station, then walk over to the Red Line. It was good times because I got to see and learn the city a little bit more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:29 am 

Speaking of the red line stop's convenience to the northern part of Loyola's campus, what are the plans for the old Centennial Forum Student Union (home to the Rambler Room, old Mertz dining hall, phonathon, etc.)? That's prime real estate on Sheridan directly across the street from the L stop.

I guess considering we can attract no more than 4,500 people at a single event in Gentile, there's only a handful of opportunity for bars and restaurants in the area (unlike say Wrigleyville). That said, the postgame options are unfortunately kind of limited to Ireland's (whose location is more of a hidden gem), Bruno's and Bulldog Ale House. It would be nice to add another option there plus my stir-crazy pipe dream of reopening Hamilton's in its original location. I'll admit I haven't tried the new Onward restaurant, nor am I including other area staples like Moody's, Oasis, etc. that are at least a few blocks of a walk from Gentile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:38 am 

Was the Centennial building still in use before the current shutdown?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 am 

JC64 wrote:
Was the Centennial building still in use before the current shutdown?

I think the women's softball team put up a makeshift batting cage in there. Phoneathon might not have moved out either. Everything else I think has been moved out to the new student union. I remember walking through it in the past year or two and it's pretty bare. I think it's only used as a last-resort meeting space if everywhere else on campus is being used

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:55 pm 

Wasn't part of the building residential? Was that section still housing students?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:52 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Wasn't part of the building residential? Was that section still housing students?

Mertz Hall is the high-rise part of the building. That's still in use I believe, and because it's the largest dormitory, I don't think it'll be replaced anytime soon. There was a hallway that led into CFSU and the dining hall so you never went outside. You could always tell the Mertz kids because they'd be wearing shorts in the dining hall in January.

That said, I think the bottom part can be gutted and turned into retail much like how Fordham hall is now without it affecting Mertz.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:08 pm 

So Mertz was my resident hall..separating the Centenial Forum and Mertz was an enclosed lobby on the bottom,level and an open plaza on the top...with stairs on the north and south. Centennial Forum had the dining hall the 2nd floor and the commuter center on the bottom. with some student organizations housed in some offices. There was also a theater attached to Mertz on the first level. I have heard Mertz referred to as the largest Jesuit erection in the world.