It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm 

Had an opportunity to participate in an alumni board meeting on zoom.
A significant part of the presentation was given by Tom Kelly VP of Admin
He spent about thirty minutes reviewing where Loyola had been in its initial response to the pandemic.
He also outlined all the current steps taken as well as the steps for the future.
It appears that Loyola will open the campus (as the State okays it) following the usual social distancing as well as mask guidelines.
There will be "on the ground" classes as well as on line learning. At this time classes will start in September and the on the ground learning will conclude
at Thanksgiving but the rest of the semester as well as final exams will be on line and will finish later. The first semester mid break ( I had no idea there was one)
will be very short so the students do not have to travel back and forth (I surmiss that "mid break" would normally have been Thanksgiving)
Housing will be limited to one person per room with local hotels also being used. Priority will be given to Freshman. Those living in the Chicago area will be encouraged to commute. There will be a housing shortage and assignments will be on a predetermined basis.
Enrollments are projected to be 5% less than last year.
Students should return in January.

Nothing was said about athletics but given what was outlined it appears (and it is only my extrapolated guess) that the on campus games will be fanless
or significantly reduced capacity. Given the emphasis on safety first, I could not draw any other conclusion.
AGAIN NOTHING WAS SAID SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ATHLETICS BUT IT IS ONLY LOGICAL. It wasn't even on the radar.

I imagine that the Missouri Valley will have a statement soon about the schedule.
I could see a delayed start to January for basketball..

As depressing as it would APPEAR to be, I must say that Tom Kelly and his team have done a very impressive job. They have really drilled down into specifics and have detailed outlines of steps taken with clear lines of responsibility. Given the macro situation, I do not think that any university could have a better response plan in place. If I had a son or daughter attending Loyola I would feel good about what has been done.

Given all the stupidity in pro sports today (as well as their greed of millionaires arguing with billionaires), Loyola is a shining light of caring and planning as well as
well as hard work and execution.

While it could all turn out differently, if I were betting I would bet on games with no fans or very few fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:00 pm 

A shortened season would be very disappointing as Krutwig, in his last year, has a really great chance at rising up in the overall statistics in points, rebounds, and assists to cement his place as one of the all-time Loyola greats... It would be a shame if he would not get 30 games to build on his already great career numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:02 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:

Nothing was said about athletics but given what was outlined it appears (and it is only my extrapolated guess) that the on campus games will be fanless
or significantly reduced capacity. Given the emphasis on safety first, I could not draw any other conclusion.
AGAIN NOTHING WAS SAID SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ATHLETICS BUT IT IS ONLY LOGICAL. It wasn't even on the radar.

I agree, streak. I am very pessimistic about going to games this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm 

I haven't made fun of Tom Kelly in a long time (and about one hundred pounds ago) so I might be a little rusty, but here goes:

The only thing Tom Kelly could successfully "drill down" on, in my opinion, is a fried meat loaf sandwich.

If Tom Kelly is in charge of keeping Loyola students safe then I too would feel good about Streak's kids being enrolled at Loyola.

I bet Kelly had no problem keeping women at least six feet away from him during the pandemic.

"Loyola is a shining light of caring and planning as well as
well as hard work and execution."
Can I use this for my Ramblermania signature ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm 

Re: No fans at games.
I admit I have a somewhat excited,
voluble, some might even say loud and obnoxious cheering style which would put people within a radius of 60 feet of me at risk of contracting the virus if I was infected.

I think the solution would be to cordon me off within a perimeter of blonde cheerleaders who have developed Covid 19 antibodies.
I would be willing to make this sacrifice in the name of public health.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:59 pm 

Swella, you don't give yourself enough credit. Your wit and sarcasm are priceless. As for the presentation, I believe you would have been either impressed or fooled.
Remember this, even a blind squirrel once in awhile finds an acorn. Your reasons for your animus toward Tom are yours to keep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Swella, you don't give yourself enough credit. Your wit and sarcasm are priceless. As for the presentation, I believe you would have been either impressed or fooled.
Remember this, even a blind squirrel once in awhile finds an acorn. Your reasons for your animus toward Tom are yours to keep.

I think the crux of the problem is finding enough cheerleaders, or really anyone, willing to get that close.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:05 am 

Forget the cheerleaders with developed antibodies. I'll take one cheerleader or dance team member a developed body.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 am 

Not to worry about whether fans are allowed at games. At this rate, you guys will be banned from campus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:35 am 

Doesn't Loyola have a Safe Space for politically incorrect codgers?
Maybe we could share space with the Muslim Lesbian Vegans. I hear their hummus is to die for!