It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

How Should Porter Fill the Assistant Coach Position?
Hire a current college assistant coach 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Hire a former college head coach on the rebound 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Hire an up and coming high school coach 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Promote from within 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Other (explain) 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:08 am 

I think you guys are reading too much into this. There's zero chance that Porter said to himself, "I want to recruit Cleveland hard. I need to hire an assistant with connections there." Just like he didn't hire Mullins because his dad runs the Wolves AAU program.

He looks for people who will work their asses off and are, as swella will remind us, rising stars.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
I think you guys are reading too much into this. There's zero chance that Porter said to himself, "I want to recruit Cleveland hard. I need to hire an assistant with connections there." Just like he didn't hire Mullins because his dad runs the Wolves AAU program.

He looks for people who will work their asses off and are, as swella will remind us, rising stars.

Agreed, it's not like Valentine hasn't been actively recruiting the Chicago-land area. Coaches make new relationships, and high school programs have relationships with programs as well as coaches.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 am 

Blers wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

Agreed, it's not like Valentine hasn't been actively recruiting the Chicago-land area. Coaches make new relationships, and high school programs have relationships with programs as well as coaches.

AND... Porter recruits! I feel like that gets lost all the time. Yes, a big part of an assistant coach's job is to recruit, but it's a big part of the HC's job, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am 

I certainly agree with the points you guys are making, I'm just looking at what the new hire brings to the table...some of which are relationships. Mullins brought a lot to the table, some of that was a relationship with Wolves and local coaches.

It would seem that Jermaine probably brings a lot to be excited about to the table I mean we hired him after all... but something he probably isnt bringing to the able are usable established recruiting relationships simply due to the location of where those relationships are. Thats not a pro or a con, theres nothing to say he cant create new relationships in other places! Just pointing out that that part of his resume will probably be less valuable to us than Mullins was when we initially hired him.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 am 

Kimbrough's resume is that of a solid journeyman assistant coach. This isn't a particularly sexy hire, but as others have said Porter has a good track record hiring staff.
He's more of a "Risen Moon" than a "Rising Star".

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am 

It is a bit of a head-scratcher, off-the-radar hire. Not really sure I see the fit (unlike with Mullins, Valentine, etc.). But I trust Porter and am sure he had good reasons to make the hire.