It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A Wonder !!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm 

Nice start for DEPEWL !!! The Trib loves it I wonder though why we only received ONE line Our win over BALL STATE rated more I feel===PITIFUL and disgusting !!!

Post subject: Re: A Wonder !!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:55 pm 

Hey Brot,
Let it go. You may be the last person on earth who reads the papers. Rest assured the Demons will regress to the mean soon enough.
Besides, our young and talented and deep Ramblers will be there by March. PM has so many options now and will make it work....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 pm 

Brot,

I understand your frustration but the reason those papers are in the shape they are in is not because they’ve been making good decisions. 20 years ago I think it would legitimately make me mad, but thank God we have ESPN to look at stats, live steaming games on our computers and phones, an audio broadcast of every game, etc. True fans of the ramblers don’t go without! It’s a great time to be a fan, and you don’t need a newspaper to follow along!

I live in Texas, and one of the most fun things from the 2018 run was telling everybody I met about our team and our story. Everyone else I live around says the same things over and over again about the Longhorns and Texas A&M and it’s boring because it’s the same stuff everyone already knows and is inundated with. Being a Duke, Notre Dame or Ohio State fan is boring. You don’t have to even try. Being a loyola fan is special and unique. Don’t take it for granted! A buckeye fan named “brot” on an Ohio State messageboard commenting on USA Today or tribute articles would be nothing.... on ramblermania, you’re legendary! Take pride! Don’t sweat the small stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 pm 

The Demons move to 9-0 with a big win over Texas Tech. They've taken over local media on Twitter and also have quite a few national pundits singing their praises.

Doesn't help when we have our own student newspaper praising DePaul and writing negative articles about our own basketball team:

"Sorry, Loyola, DePaul Has Taken Control of Chicago Men's Basketball": http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/12/column ... asketball/

"Students Say Loyola Should Shift Marketing Focus Away From Men's Basketball": http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/12/studen ... asketball/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 pm 

Do students actually think our marketing focus is on men's college basketball? Are they just talking about sports, because I'll admit it was heavy last year, but if you don't try to capitalize on GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR... you're doing it wrong.

Or is there someone high up on the Phoenix staff who doesn't like how much the paper has to print sports stories?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 am 

In my experience as a Loyola student and alumnus, spanning 59 years, there has always seemed to be anti-athletics bias among the nerdy, left wing GDI segment of the Loyola community. This syndrome probably exists on most college campuses in the nation, but seems more acute at Loyola, probably because it is so close to home. It seems to have reached its peak during the Raymond Baumhart era when the athletic legacy of the 1960's, 70's and early 80's was wasted while Baumhart and his toadies on the Board of Trustees concentrated their efforts on funding the temple of the Gods of Medical Science, while ignoring the undergraduate schools. How, financially, is the university profiting from that action now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 am 

everybody is looking for a story to fit a narrative.....and just like our Ramblers....dp fits that comeback narrative...as well as the remember when narrative.......we are just going to have to deal with it..........There is also the WHAT IS HOT narrative....and as for the Phoenix...just young kids trying to get some notoriety by proving they are not bandwagon journalists.......and omg young kids going against authority......
If we want more publicity in this "What is NEw today" news area.....we gotta win us some more games......and seems like we are finally headed in that direction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 am 

Students think weird stuff sometimes. Try not to worry too much about it.

As for DePaul, they're really cooking. 9-0 with three very solid wins. They'll be in the tournament if they can play .500 in the Big East. Good for them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 am 

I don't mind DePaul being somewhat successful.... It should be good for college hoops in the area. What I do mind is that they play everyone in the area except us. And they're happy to play us in every sport EXCEPT men's basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:11 am 

JCT wrote:
I don't mind DePaul being somewhat successful.... It should be good for college hoops in the area. What I do mind is that they play everyone in the area except us. And they're happy to play us in every sport EXCEPT men's basketball.

Agreed.