It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 am
Posts: 980
kato669 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
So...

Is Williamson hurt?
Is Williamson sick?
Is Williamson in the doghouse?


He's playing, no points though, only 6 minutes


Saw this yesterday, and meant to respond. But Williamson was saddled with two fouls in the first 6 minutes.

Great balanced effort, I always wished Bruno would go at the hoop more, thought he was way craftier down low than he was as a shooter.

Also... since no one else will... i'm gonna say it.... bare with me.... Aher played well. Wojcik and Welch were impressive as well. Welch has used that spin move very effectively a few times now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm
Posts: 3699
ahunte1 wrote:
That was a wild play, and I cannot believe they didn't show a replay.



_________________
MBB Scholarship Chart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 am
Posts: 21
Well, if you were Arch Madness last year, Bradley absolutely mugged us the entire game. They committed more fouls than any other team in the MVC last year and with 4 minutes left in the game they something ridiculous like 8 or 9 fouls for the whole game. Its the old Pat Riley theory when he was with the Knicks. He believed that the Refs just would not call all the fouls. Bradley plays the same way. The more they get away with, the more they fouls they commit. The MVC must crack down on this. Its surprising because all the rules they put in for flagrant fouls, flopping, etc were designed to eliminate fouls and have a cleaner game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm
Posts: 3699
I've said on here and in Twitter that the semifinal last year was the worst-officiated game I've ever seen.

_________________
MBB Scholarship Chart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 am
Posts: 3029
Location: Chicago, Illinois
You could see this coming all last year, and I tried to comment on it. A couple of times I got so angry that I went over the line, but it's a pretty obvious problem. It got worse and worse for us all season long, because we were a team that didn't foul.... We went the entire 2017-18 season without a single player fouling out. That was a huge strength for us, but other teams tried to turn that against us last year.

Some teams hacked at us, to try and discourage driving to the basket, to intimidate going up for shots in the paint, and to "inadvertently" try to take some of our players out. By the time we got to Arch Madness, we were missing gimme layups at the basket, and our players didn't (or couldn't) drive to the hoop with confidence.

That's their game plan against us now. They are going to bruise our players' ribs with an elbow going up for a rebound, or "inadvertently" making contact with the bridge of a nose on a screen, dragging players down off the rim on breakaway dunks (we saw Evansville do that to Kennedy a few times yesterday), or stomping on an extended leg intentionally to cause injury and get a foul like Darrell Brown did yesterday to take an SIU player out for the season. I saw Bradley players make four or five intentional jabs into the bodies and noses and foreheads of other players that weren't called, and I only watched about 12 minutes of the game because I couldn't stand it.

And yesterday, on the Evansville message board, some of the fans used the old, "We've got 9 fouls and they only have 2, so the refs are biased!!" argument. That argument is stupid. Even when I was somewhat naive fan of college basketball 25-30 years ago, I didn't use that stupid argument, because it was so plainly, obviously stupid. But a lot of people are swayed by that stupid, stupid logic. If I get a parking ticket, does that mean you have to get a parking ticket? If you get a parking ticket for illegally parking, does that mean the cops have to find something wrong with my car to prove they're "fair?"

Last year I suggested that we have an enforcer to come out and harm opposing players in a similar way to how we're getting shoved around. I was being a little bit facetious, and a lot angry.

But somebody in the league office has to get the message that the dirty, cheap shot thug teams will be held accountable one way or another. We can't allow our players to go out on the court knowing that the other team is going to intentionally try to injure them and negatively affect their college career (and maybe their entire lives) for advantage in a basketball game. If that's the game the league is going to play, then they sure as hell better also look the other way when we retaliate.

The refs also have to know before the game starts what the situation is-- that if they let cheap shots and extracurricular violence off the ball go without whistles, that we're bringing in guys specifically to do damage to the specific individuals that cause harm. Tell them. Show them footage (it can be found pretty easily) of how other teams cause injury, intentionally and subversively.

I used to think Illinois State was the worst at this, but Bradley took their playbook and added brass knuckles and sharpened elbows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 1030
There is no doubt that last year‘s Bradley game was very poorly officiated in St. Louis. I went back and watched it again after we lost because I thought maybe I was just lost in the moment and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Sure enough, there were multiple missed fouls, a few of them clearly intentional, that were not called.

I’m sure Bradley players are recruited and coached to play “physical.” They definitely take shots when they can get them. Fortunately Porter is very vocal with refs and I think he does a good job of defending players.

I didn’t get to see the SIU play, but if it looked intentional, I hope Mullins sends the tape to the league office. Cheap shots are ridiculous, and honestly, if one of our guys does it, I want him thrown out of the game just as much as if someone on the other team does it. There’s no place for it and it’s never warranted. If it happens to us, I’d rather us refuse to take the court and forfeit the game to make the point, as opposed to sending Frank in to throw a guy to the ground on a layup.

One of the things I’m most proud of our team for is their character. We have high quality guys and I want to keep it that way. I’ll take Uguak over Darrell Brown or Malik Yarbrough any day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm
Posts: 46
JCT wrote:
The refs also have to know before the game starts what the situation is


One of the interesting things about Arch Madness is that they usually bring in "the best" referees to do them. Of the 3 refs who did our semifinal against Bradley, all of them reffed in the NCAA tournament (John Higgins made it to the Elite Eight, Gerry Pollard did the Sweet Sixteen, and Randy Heimermann did the first round). The downside is that these guys primarily do power conference games during the season. Higgins and Pollard did a few Valley games, and Heimermann did about a half-Valley schedule.

I think that this leads to situations where Arch Madness games can be called differently than normal Valley games and change the complexion of the tournament. I wonder if things would be different if normal Valley refs also did Arch Madness. And would different necessarily be better?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 1030
WestCoastFan wrote:
JCT wrote:
The refs also have to know before the game starts what the situation is


One of the interesting things about Arch Madness is that they usually bring in "the best" referees to do them. Of the 3 refs who did our semifinal against Bradley, all of them reffed in the NCAA tournament (John Higgins made it to the Elite Eight, Gerry Pollard did the Sweet Sixteen, and Randy Heimermann did the first round). The downside is that these guys primarily do power conference games during the season. Higgins and Pollard did a few Valley games, and Heimermann did about a half-Valley schedule.

I think that this leads to situations where Arch Madness games can be called differently than normal Valley games and change the complexion of the tournament. I wonder if things would be different if normal Valley refs also did Arch Madness. And would different necessarily be better?


If it's the Valley tournament, I want refs that have officiated primarily Valley games. At least you know what you're getting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:32 am
Posts: 1359
One of the assistant coaches told me at the Summer Golf Fundraiser (great chance to talk to coaches) that they bring in Big10 officlas for the Valley Tournament and they are used to allowing physical play in the Big10......Really makes no sense to me to bring in officials from another Conference for our Conference Tournament......but it really is to our credit that we almost always hold the opposing teams leading scorer significantly below their averages ...and we do it by playing good defense.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm
Posts: 3699
ToledoRambler wrote:
There is no doubt that last year‘s Bradley game was very poorly officiated in St. Louis. I went back and watched it again after we lost because I thought maybe I was just lost in the moment and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Sure enough, there were multiple missed fouls, a few of them clearly intentional, that were not called.

I’m sure Bradley players are recruited and coached to play “physical.” They definitely take shots when they can get them. Fortunately Porter is very vocal with refs and I think he does a good job of defending players.

I didn’t get to see the SIU play, but if it looked intentional, I hope Mullins sends the tape to the league office. Cheap shots are ridiculous, and honestly, if one of our guys does it, I want him thrown out of the game just as much as if someone on the other team does it. There’s no place for it and it’s never warranted. If it happens to us, I’d rather us refuse to take the court and forfeit the game to make the point, as opposed to sending Frank in to throw a guy to the ground on a layup.

One of the things I’m most proud of our team for is their character. We have high quality guys and I want to keep it that way. I’ll take Uguak over Darrell Brown or Malik Yarbrough any day.


To the Brown/SIU play, I don't consider him to be a dirty player. I didn't think it was intentional or anything, but he charged hard and I thought it was a clear offensive foul.

I also disagree that the way to fight back is by sending in an enforcer (who we don't even have). The way to beat them is with positioning, being strong with the ball, and taking advantage of their aggressiveness with shot fakes and pass fakes to get open. In the Arch Madness semi, they blocked nine shots, and I only remember one guy (Frank) shot faking. He got a wide open layup and blew it.

_________________
MBB Scholarship Chart


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!