It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bench Production
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm 

Last night Nate described the team looking like an old men's game at the YMCA late in the second half. These end of game struggles have been bothering me as have the lack of offensive production from any of the bench players not named Kennedy. I think the two are closely related.

In the first seven league games(6-1) Loyola outscored the opponent in the second half six times. In those games the five bench players other than Kennedy were on the court for a combined 237 minutes. During that time they contributed 79 points, 29 rebounds and 11 assists.

In the last six games(3-3) Loyola outscored their opponent in the second half only two times. During these games these same five were only on the court for 181 minutes. Their offensive production has slipped to a meager 16 points, 20 rebounds and 11 assists.

It appears that this lack of offensive help is causing the starters to get shorter rests during the game and contributing to the second half struggles.

Post subject: Re: Bench Production
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm 

I think it's more or less universal in the coaching ranks that rotations get shorter later in the season, especially for teams still in contention for some attainable goal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm 

Pipkins, Welch, Wojcik just have not shown much offensive firepower this year off the bench. I am not sure what to make of Pipkins going forward--what is his role? what are his strengths?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Pipkins, Welch, Wojcik just have not shown much offensive firepower this year off the bench. I am not sure what to make of Pipkins going forward--what is his role? what are his strengths?

Pipkins was effective at the beginning of the year when he was getting more time then he started getting the quick hook when he made a mistake after Clemons returned. Since his minutes have been limited he seems to be playing not to make a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:21 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
I think it's more or less universal in the coaching ranks that rotations get shorter later in the season, especially for teams still in contention for some attainable goal.

According to these numbers, the minutes have gone down a bit, but only from 34 to 30 mpg. It's the scoring that has disappeared. I did the math earlier, but I think it was a drop from 13 points per 40 minutes to 3.3.