It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:44 am 

I think someone mentioned this, but if we're an 8/9 (or a 10 like Jerry Palm thinks), we're going to be favored to win that game. Probably by 6-10 points depending on the matchup. So, who's right? Jerry Palm, who has literally no reasoning for his seeding, or the people who look at college basketball analytically?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 am 

I agree with Nate that our marketability from our Final 4 run works in our favor on Selection Sunday.

Sister Jean is worth at least one seed higher, which is why I think we're a lock for a 7, and have a prayer for a 6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 am 

I got to thinking about the power of prayer and basketball, so I googled "Patron Saint of Basketball" and lo and behold there is one: St. Sebastian.

You can even buy medals bearing his image ballin':

https://www.catholiccompany.com/basketball-c2618/

FYI, Grace Calhoun's patron saint is Saint Drogo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am 

JArsy_22 wrote:
Again, this is all fun conjecturing, as I think most of us would even be thrilled with just a first round win.

True that. Pretty amazing that we can even have such conjecture. The best thing about the Rambler basketball games when I first started following (the early oughts) was the box of Munchkins I would bring into Gentile from the Dunkin Donuts under the L stop. Now, we should reasonably be expecting to be the favorite for a first round NCAA matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 am 

I agree - I've been a LUC fan for 20 years and I'm still pinching myself that this is our reality. It really is so exciting.

As for the seeding - I think anything lower than an 8 is honestly insulting and just reinforces the rigged nature of the whole thing. I mean, jeesh, what do we have to do to show we are a top team? Listening to Porter's interview last night with Zach Gelb - he talked about how all of our metrics, ranking, etc. should put us higher than an 8 - I think when all is said and done we will be in a 7 slot, and I'm cool with that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 pm 

Are there obvious teams we ought to be rooting for/against if we want to get a 7 seed or higher?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 pm 

JerseyCityRambler wrote:
Are there obvious teams we ought to be rooting for/against if we want to get a 7 seed or higher?

BYU losing last night would have been nice.

Root for teams like Mizzou, Oklahoma, Florida, Clemson, Colorado, LSU, etc... to all do poorly in their conference tournaments. Middle of the pack P5 schools are slated for those 5,6,7,8 seeds right now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:15 pm 

Dansen wrote:
JerseyCityRambler wrote:

Root for teams like Mizzou, Oklahoma, Florida, Clemson, Colorado, LSU, etc... to all do poorly in their conference tournaments. Middle of the pack P5 schools are slated for those 5,6,7,8 seeds right now

Also teams on the 8/9 lines with or behind us (Virginia Tech, UConn, Rutgers) that could jump a little with a good run.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 pm 

[quote="swellafelon"]I got to thinking about the power of prayer and basketball, so I googled "Patron Saint of Basketball" and lo and behold there is one: St. Sebastian.

St. Sebastian....was shot full of arrows for being a Christian, I believe by the Romans....and then continued to run a great distance to accomplish something that I dont remember.....but by brother got me a St.Sebastian medal to wear when I played and I did......I cringe to think how bad I would have been w/o it ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:20 pm 

Dansen wrote:
JerseyCityRambler wrote:

Well, we have one down with Clemson losing in the first round of their tournament

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next