It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: This Year's Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

I looked up Campbell. They've been DI since 1977, and made the tournament once, in 1992, when they were in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Their mascot is Gaylord the Camel. They were 13-20 last year, with wins over UNC-Wilmington, East Carolina, Winthrop, and Gardner-Webb. They played guarantee games last year at Iowa State, Cincinnati, and Gonzaga (losing each game by 19-22 points). Last year's top scorer graduated, and their second-highest scorer transferred to Old Dominion. Their roster includes players from Croatia and Sudan, and they have transfers from Iowa State, Kent State, Richmond, Central Florida, and VCU. They have one player, a senior forward from Racine (the Iowa State transfer), which might account for their trip to the Chicago area.

Post subject: Re: Next Year's Schedule
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 pm 

Its a soup company, maybe Lipton's but then that does not start with "C", That's it, think soup!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:12 pm 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
When do we stop saying "next year" and "next season" and start saying "this season" or "this year"? ".

A question Cub fans have been asking since 1908.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:18 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:
So here's what we've got so far....

Home
UIC (12/07)
UW-Milwaukee (11/8 or 11/9)
NIU
Campbell (added by ahunte1)

Road
Mississippi State (12/01)
Tennessee Tech
Fordham (12/23)

Miss. State will be better than they were last year, but there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't win all of these games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 pm 

Read that the Campbell game will be on December 13th.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

So, then, here's what we've got (tentatively, of course):

Home
UW-Milwaukee (11/8 or 11/9)
UIC (12/07)
Campbell (12/13)
NIU

Road
Mississippi State (12/01)
Fordham (12/23)
Tennessee Tech

+ 18 MVC games = 25 games

It would be nice if we could get a MTE, but I'm not holding my breath. If we can't find an appropriate MTE, then we only have two more games to fill.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:19 pm 

not sure how you guys feel, but in the past i would look forward to the non conf. schd and not so much for the Horizon ... this year really looking forward to seeing ISU, Bradley, W-State, SIU come to the Gentile ... huge upgrade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Rambleon8390 wrote:
not sure how you guys feel, but in the past i would look forward to the non conf. schd and not so much for the Horizon ... this year really looking forward to seeing ISU, Bradley, W-State, SIU come to the Gentile ... huge upgrade

I feel exactly the same. Moreover, when we have seen Bradley, ISUr, ISUb, UNI, Evansville, and Drake in the past several years, it's been a non-con game-- sometimes conflicting with vacations and holidays. Although those schools brought a decent turnout to the Joe for their appearances here, the intensity will be ratcheted WAY up for conference games-- plus, most of our students will be on campus. I think there is going to be an immediate and dramatically noticeable difference in the buzz for conference games right off the bat.

The sheer number of ISUr and SIU grads in Chicago alone are going to mean the visitors' fans will be out in full force, thus challenging our fans and our students to match their intensity. Bradley-- a private school with only about 6000 students-- travels really well to Chicago, and has alumni numbers in the area greater than probably any Horizon League school except UIC. The same is probably true for Indiana State. So essentially, playing in the MVC is going to make every conference game much more intense than playing a complete Horizon League schedule of nothing but Butler, UIC, and Valpo over and over again-- no UWMs, UWGBs, Wright States, Cleveland States, or YSUs. And on top of it all, there's Arch Madness-- essentially the same as the old MCC Tournament, except at a neutral site (instead of bought by the highest bidder).

I know there's still some trepidation out there on the part of some fans who were comfortable with the Horizon, but the energy and intensity and enthusiasm in the MVC is going to almost literally knock your socks off. I can promise you that it's going to be noticeable well before the basketball season starts-- even with women's volleyball, soccer, and exchanges on the message boards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:44 pm 

Yeah 63 , but will OUR students show up ??? Their attendance at HL games was underwhelming for sure.