Poll ended at Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 pm
NINE 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
EIGHT 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
SEVEN 44%  44%  [ 15 ]
SIX 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
FIVE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:29 pm 

Predict the actual seed we will get, not the seed we deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 pm 

I probably should have included a TEN option, in light of Jerry Palm's projected bracket, but to me that is so outrageous an underseed I couldn't bring myself to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:50 am 

nothing would surprise me but I'm expecting a 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 am 

I think we are going to be an 8. Which really sucks. Of the teams that are basically locked in as 1 seeds, here is who I'd want to face in order:

1. Michigan - Unlike many top high major squads, Michigan's offense runs through some really small guards (Mike Smith and Eli Brooks (who was injured in their last game)) so I feel more comfortable running Norris and Clemons out there. Dickinson is a really good ballplayer, but I think he'd struggle with Krut's footwork. Lucas/Aher can stick to Livers and little Wagner like glue. After looking unbeatable for a long stretch, they've shown their flaws in a blowout loss to Illinois and a loss to rival MSU.

2. Illinois - They are red hot and playing with a chip on their shoulders. Cockburn is an absolute beast downlow but relies a lot on his size/physicality--I think he'd struggle guarding Krut. Ayo is a matchup nightmare as he is quick, strong and can finish at the rim. Guys like Frazier, Curbelo, etc. can get red hot from deep. In-state game would be fun and I wouldn't be surprised if the Committee puts us in the 8/9 game vs Mizzou and then Illinois as a 1 seed to create an intriguing 2nd round matchup either way.

3. Gonzaga - Loaded with NBA talent. By far the most talented team in the country (IMO). Jalen Suggs should be the #1 pick over Cade Cunningham. Only a few things put them over Baylor in this list: they play in a mid-major conference so have not been as "battle tested" in the past few months (other than BYU) and they've blown so many teams out that they aren't experienced in close games (although the same can be said about us). If the Committee wants to eliminate the mid-major threats early, they'll put us vs San Diego State in the 8/9 game with the winner playing the Zags.

4. Baylor - Can score points in a hurry--it'll be with 5 points and then you blink and you're down 15+. Almost everyone on the floor for them at any given time hits 40+% from deep. I want no part of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:19 am 

I think we'd have to resign ourselves to moral victories against a 1 seed and be happy that the program got maximum exposure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:22 am 

You gotta think Porter would love a chance to upset Michigan, no matter when they’d play.

TBH, so would I.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:01 pm 

Of the 4 likely #1 seeds I've only seen Michigan (besides brief Illini highlights) and I agree with 2011 we can run with them.

I would love to see Braden Norris match up with Mike Smith. They look like very similar players.

FYI, I predicted a 7 seed for the Blers, so in my scenario we wouldn't meet Michigan until Round 4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:59 pm 

The 10 NET should drop some by selection Sunday but unlikely to go past 20 (correct me if you understand it differently). The NET creation seemed to me to be a better measuring device that the experts wanted so bucking it by a large measure might not be easy for the committee to do?

6 would be ideal but 7 is how I voted.

If offered an 8 or 9 Porter should beg to be dropped to the 10 or 11. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 pm 

As a native Michigander and lifelong Wolverine fan even before my Rambler allegiances, I have watched a lot of both teams this year. It would be a very fun matchup.

- Smith is a savvy veteran transfer who has transitioned seamlessly from Ivy League ball. Led the Big 10 in Assists per Game this year.
- Brooks is the quintessential “glue guy.” Great defender, spot up shooter, but undersized for a 2-guard at 6’1. Rumors now from Ann Arbor are more optimistic that he’ll be ready to go for the Big Ten Tournament.
- Wagner is much more of a guard than his older brother. Not as good offensively, but still a good 3 pt shooter and an elite defender. 2nd/3rd team all Big Ten
- Livers is one of the best shooters in the country. Not a great off the dribble game but has some post skill. Him vs. Aher would be an awesome matchup to watch. 2nd team all Big 10.
- Dickinson is a stud. Huge and one of the best freshman in America, but limited post moves (usually only goes left). Doesn’t often matter with how big he is. Krutwig and him would be another great matchup to watch. 1st/2nd team all Big 10, Freshman of the Year.
- 6th man Chaundee Brown is another senior transfer who looks like a linebacker. 2-guard who is a streaky shooter and good defender.

For my sanity (and I know I am in the minority here) I would much rather not have my two teams play each other, but there is no doubt in my mind that it would be an amazing matchup. Here’s to hoping we get a 7 seed anyways, as I think we deserve it!! Juwan Howard vs Porter Moser would be an incredible Xs and Os battle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:51 pm 

JArsy_22 wrote:
As a native Michigander and lifelong Wolverine fan even before my Rambler allegiances, I have watched a lot of both teams this year. It would be a very fun matchup.

- Smith is a savvy veteran transfer who has transitioned seamlessly from Ivy League ball. Led the Big 10 in Assists per Game this year.
- Brooks is the quintessential “glue guy.” Great defender, spot up shooter, but undersized for a 2-guard at 6’1. Rumors now from Ann Arbor are more optimistic that he’ll be ready to go for the Big Ten Tournament.
- Wagner is much more of a guard than his older brother. Not as good offensively, but still a good 3 pt shooter and an elite defender. 2nd/3rd team all Big Ten
- Livers is one of the best shooters in the country. Not a great off the dribble game but has some post skill. Him vs. Aher would be an awesome matchup to watch. 2nd team all Big 10.
- Dickinson is a stud. Huge and one of the best freshman in America, but limited post moves (usually only goes left). Doesn’t often matter with how big he is. Krutwig and him would be another great matchup to watch. 1st/2nd team all Big 10, Freshman of the Year.
- 6th man Chaundee Brown is another senior transfer who looks like a linebacker. 2-guard who is a streaky shooter and good defender.

For my sanity (and I know I am in the minority here) I would much rather not have my two teams play each other, but there is no doubt in my mind that it would be an amazing matchup. Here’s to hoping we get a 7 seed anyways, as I think we deserve it!! Juwan Howard vs Porter Moser would be an incredible Xs and Os battle.

I share my allegiances as well with the Maize and Blue (LU undergrad / Michigan grad school). But would definitely cheer for Loyola should they play (and was cheering my heart out for Loyola in San Antonio). I'm with you that I would rather not see my two schools matched up so early...but I do think Michigan is the best matchup for Loyola of the 1 seeds.