It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:45 am 

Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:00 p.m.
Gentile Arena, Chicago

Having lost four straight games and without the services of Milton Doyle, the Ramblers will face the team immediately above them in the standings, Illinois State, for the first time this season. The Redbirds, as some have pointed out, hold the distinction of being one of the most physically talented/athletic teams in the league while also being curiously prone to losing close games. Three of ISU’s four conference losses have come by less than two points in overtime or the final seconds, and two out of three of their non-conference losses were by just four points. Four times this season, the Redbirds have managed to lose a game they led by 12 points. Dan Mueller’s crew has had trouble with injuries to key players and keeping their star big man Reggie Lynch on the court through foul trouble, but they seem to be getting healthy just in time to meet Loyola in Chicago.

Several injuries through the season have resulted in an inconsistent starting lineup, but Illinois State is likely to start 6’10” sophomore center Reggie Lynch, 6’7” freshman forward MiKyle McIntosh, 6’1” senior guard Daishon Knight, 6’3” sophomore guard Tony Wills, and 5’11 sophomore guard Paris Lee. Top bench players are 6’5” guard DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell, 5’10” senior guard Bobby Hunter, 6’9” senior forward John Jones, and 6’8” freshman forward Deonte Hawkins. Lee leads the league in steals, and tops ISU in minutes per game and assists—he also hits on 38% of his shots from distance. Akoon-Purcell is the Redbirds’ second leading scorer (12.6 ppg) behind Knight (15.1 pgg), and leading rebounder (5.9 rpg) ahead of Lynch (5.1 rpg) while coming off the bench. The Redbirds lead the league in rebounding margin and steals, and they're second to Wichita State in turnover margin.

While not a dominating offensive player—his season high point output is 13—the Redbirds are built around Reggie Lynch. In the games he’s played where he’s scored less than 10 points, they’re 4-7; in games where he’s fouled out, they’re 3-3; in games in which he’s played fewer than 20 minutes, they’re 3-4; in games in which he’s had fewer than five rebounds, they’re 4-4. Lynch is near the top of the league in blocks, and has become skilled at sealing off open pathways to the hoop for ISU’s super-athletic guards and forwards, especially Wills and Akoon-Purcell. Meanwhile, his presence near the hoop on offense requires opposing teams to work harder in the paint and spreads defenses to allow jumpers and open shots behind the line from Knight and Hunter, who have combined for nearly half of ISU’s threes on 45.5% shooting. Lynch shoots 52% from the field and averages 8.8 ppg, and rarely passes when he receives the ball in the paint.

Akoon-Purcell is an exciting newcomer, and adds a dimension that ISU didn’t really have last season. He’s very athletic, incredibly efficient on offense, extremely energetic on defense, and a major matchup problem for a lot of teams—he’s had two double-doubles off the bench, two 20-point games, and scored in double digits in 10 of his 14 games played. He can hit from outside, drive to the rim for a finish or flush, and get to the line.

In last year’s meetings between the two squads, Loyola won at home by 10 points less than a month after being embarrassingly taken apart in the second half in Normal. The Ramblers forced Reggie Lynch to foul out after only 18 minutes in Chicago, and strong performances from Christian Thomas and Joe Crisman propelled the Ramblers to a comfortable home win. Both team’s benches were non-factors last season in each game, but both teams have improved their depth and athleticism this year.

Following this game, Loyola will have 5 of its 8 remaining games against the bottom four teams in the league, while Illinois State has only 3 of 8 remaining against the bottom four. If the Ramblers can beat Illinois State, they’ll be only one game behind the Redbirds with a more favorable remaining schedule. Meanwhile, a loss would ensure that the Ramblers end the day tied for sixth, as two teams with 2-7 records play each other on Saturday. Securing at least a split with ISUr, staying out of a tie that could result in a 7 seed, and keeping within shouting distance of the 4th or 5th seed rests to a great degree on this game. It will be an uphill battle to beat a Redbird team regaining their full strength-- especially without Milton Doyle-- but a defensive effort on par with Loyola’s last game against Wichita State and home court advantage might be enough to pull it off.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 130aaa.pdf

Illinois State game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... a_ilsu.pdf

TV/Streaming Video: Comcast Sports Net, ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id ... -vs-Loyola)

Vegas odds: Illinois State by 2.5

Last edited by JCT on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 am 

Tomorrow is also Alumni Day which is always a fun game to attend. Hope to see many old friends we know. 86, you going to get out there and run up and down a bit?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am 

08rambler wrote:
Tomorrow is also Alumni Day which is always a fun game to attend. Hope to see many old friends we know. 86, you going to get out there and run up and down a bit?

I want to see if 86 can still dunk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 am 

I hear that 86 can still dunk doughnuts with the best of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 am 

JC64 wrote:
I hear that 86 can still dunk doughnuts with the best of them.

I was thinking Oreos but donuts will do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:47 pm 

I am bringing gym shoes but plan on only running from the top of the key to the top of the key. Its been a long time since I even tried to dunk. Except on the nerf hoop in my office.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm 

LU 86 wrote:
I am bringing gym shoes but plan on only running from the top of the key to the top of the key. Its been a long time since I even tried to dunk. Except on the nerf hoop in my office.

Forget about #deflategate. We've got a real controversy on our hands here.

Why is 86 only going to run from the top of the key to the top of the key? What's he hiding? #loafgate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:33 pm 

About once a year somebody bets me that I can't still dunk. One of these years soon, I'm going to lose. Which is sad. My dad is 6'3'' and dunked at age 44. So I have to be able to at 45, I hope.

86 - C and I should be up there by about 10:30 but I'm not going to play. Is Jill going?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 pm 

08rambler wrote:
About once a year somebody bets me that I can't still dunk.

Has anyone gotten you this year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 pm 

Not in 2015 although I did win a steak in November.