It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:13 am 

Great job by the coaching staff on coming up with a gameplan to shut down Holmes. That was one of his worst games in a Flyer uniform. The staff had a plan and the players executed it.

Two home games coming up against very beatable opponents. Let's pack Gentile and support the team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am 

JCT wrote:
I think there's a motivation problem, yes.

We just weren't prepared to start the season, and we weren't prepared to play this level of competition by the time we got to conference play.

We just played game 21 or 22, and we're just now getting our zone defense in shape, communicating better on defense, and defending the three through screens.

To me, a lot of the motivation problem fixes itself when you have players taking pride in defense, which is a team endeavor.

I wouldn't call it a motivation question as much as an experience question, and one of understanding the discipline it takes to win at a high level.

We have three guys on the court (Quinn, Schweiger, and Alston) with limited experience, and you see a lot of breakdowns with them on both ends. Last night was a lot better, but you still saw Quinn and Schweiger turn it over in OT because of bad decisions. Drew's talked about guys "freelancing" on offense, and those were great examples of it last night. You dribble into traffic for no reason, you're going to turn it over. Now, it's February, so it's time to start seeing them grow up more.

With Alston on defense, you can tell he's still out there just looking to make spectacular plays and forgetting that disciplined team defense is how you succeed.

So I think it has a lot more to do with commitment and execution than motivation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:10 am 

- Things are definitely trending positively. If we keep progressing maybe we can make some noise in the A10 tourney -- would love to knock UD out after last night, I can see a nice rivalry brewing.

- TV Teddy was in classic form, that whole sequence was a whopper even for him: calls a T and then after-the-fact decides who it's on (and, IMO, getting that wrong), then screws up the foul shots, somehow giving UD an extra possession at the end of it. Here is where Drew's inexperience shows -- he should have been SCREAMING about this. Assigning the T's were one thing, but the chain of possession was objectively a mistake, and Drew and his staff somehow let the crew off the hook. Drew needs to learn how to work the refs a little more effectively -- even if he couldn't get that reversed, if he leverages that mistake against the crew, I'm sure we could have gotten more calls down the stretch than we did. Instead, somehow UD got every call. I'm not gonna hold it against Drew too much since Ted Valentine is such a dumbass, but a sign of inexperience, for sure.

- Our bigs shot 8/14 from 3. Alston has been shooting well from 3 for a while, we know Hutty has it in him, and Bryce has shot it well throughout his career. We should keep exploiting this until defenses adjust... when they do start coming out on the bigs, we should have some open lanes available.

- If Phil can polish his game up a bit, he can be all-conference next season. Just a little too sloppy taking care of the ball in the high post, throws up too many prayers, and too many defensive lapses (though you can see the potential there). Oh, and he and Benny need to cancel their memberships to the "good 3 shooter, bafflingly bad free throw shooter" club.

- Kennedy definitely isn't right, but bringing him off the bench and using him as a PG is definitely helping Norris, I think. Doesn't seem to be trying to do too much anymore, and looks noticeably less fatigued.

- It took over half the season, but looks like we can finally break a press.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:18 am 

Not that I think he's going to stick around at this point but...

**Coach, let Sheldon out of the dog house!**

At least say isn't he getting any minutes? (Defense I'm guessing, his offense was great at Valpo)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am 

kato669 wrote:
Not that I think he's going to stick around at this point but...

**Coach, let Sheldon out of the dog house!**

At least say isn't he getting any minutes? (Defense I'm guessing, his offense was great at Valpo)

From what I understand, the new rule makes it harder to transfer for your second time, so he may actually stick around. I think Hutty is the guy who is probably leaving, which is a shame. Kennedy seems like a possibility as well, but that's solely based on that weird comment that Drew made.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:04 pm 

Where has this team been all season. Good effort and fight still left in the team, despite an unexpectedly disappointing season. Upcoming home games against St. Joe's and George Mason are definitely winnable.

Regarding Edwards, wasn't he hurt in the beginning of the season? That may have set him back in conditioning and getting acclimated to the team. That said, he seemed to have good enough offensive skills from seeing him at Valpo that I thought could help the team at some point.

As for Hutty, with Golden and Welch gone at the end of the season, there still may be opportunities for Hutty to get meaningful minutes next season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:16 pm 

m52 wrote:
Where has this team been all season. Good effort and fight still left in the team, despite an unexpectedly disappointing season. Upcoming home games against St. Joe's and George Mason are definitely winnable.

Regarding Edwards, wasn't he hurt in the beginning of the season? That may have set him back in conditioning and getting acclimated to the team. That said, he seemed to have good enough offensive skills from seeing him at Valpo that I thought could help the team at some point.

As for Hutty, with Golden and Welch gone at the end of the season, there still may be opportunities for Hutty to get meaningful minutes next season.

Golden and Wilson are the only for-sure goners next year. Welch/Norris/Quise all have one more year of eligibility, thanks to the COVID exemption. Not sure if they'll use it at LU or at all. It will be an interesting offseason, to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm 

I would like to see a little more freelancing. College coaches have a tendency to constrict athletic players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:13 pm 

Agreed on just about everything discussed prior and above. We let them off the hook....

Few things I wonder and think about.....

Beyond the athleticism, we are a very short team. Considering the height disadvantages we have versus much of the conference and that the offense is complete junk half of the time, why aren't we attempting more of a front-court lineup of 2 bigs while we have 3 qualified centers on the roster who could interchange and also play some as stretch-4's?????? Phil slides to the #3 and becomes even more dangerous and a headache in the mid-range and slashing. Yes/No ?

And regarding Phil, he would get lots and lots and lots of whistles for FT's if he just leans into bodies to absorb the contact, rather than squirm around avoiding the contact and hang in the air before putting up a shot like seen too often.

Schwieger needs to work on his ball handling and strength all summer. Wayyyy too many minutes last night for the lack of production.

I haven't heard too much chatter from Hutty's folks, but I'm confident Jacob stays. There is a lot of loyalty and appreciation. Remember, he was a walk-on at first. Earned it.
I just don't get the lack of usage. Yes he's slow, but he knows how to position himself to get open and when to push other big guys around, and can be a deep threat every single game. He's been producing and been efficient in recent weeks. It's inexplicable for him to not get 15-20 mins per game at this point to take-on some of the other A10 centers. He studies the game intently on the bench. Never seen a more focused and in the zone bench dude like that.

Likewise am puzzled with Edwards DNP's.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 pm 

I think one of the big things that last night reiterated is the need for a go-to scorer when things get bogged down. Those last 5 minutes were painful…Alston can be that guy but too often he is in foul trouble and still isn’t refined enough as an under control driver.

Really thought Edwards could be that guy, and like everyone else is saying I really do not understand the DNPs.

Looking to the future, who could be that guy whose hands we put the ball in and say “Go get a bucket.” Is it Quinn, Dawson, a more refined Alston?? Hard to say, but it’s something we desperately need.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next