It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:46 am 

Excited to see the length effect next season. Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:26 am 

Agreed, the transfers are encouraging, but I'm tempering expectations a bit. By all indications last year's portal haul was just as good. Golden was Big East caliber player, expected him to play at least as well in the A10. We thought Sheldon was going to come in and gunsling, and he couldn't get off the bench for most of the season. Phil obviously exceeded expectations but he still needs to show a lot of improvement in court vision and awareness -- he never passes on offense (many players were very frustrated by this last year) and got lost all the time on defense.

I guess what I mean is, Drew still needs to show he can coach the guys he recruits. Maybe Will Bailey ends up being the biggest addition this offseason?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:04 am 

RAMBLOR wrote:
Agreed, the transfers are encouraging, but I'm tempering expectations a bit. By all indications last year's portal haul was just as good. Golden was Big East caliber player, expected him to play at least as well in the A10. We thought Sheldon was going to come in and gunsling, and he couldn't get off the bench for most of the season. Phil obviously exceeded expectations but he still needs to show a lot of improvement in court vision and awareness -- he never passes on offense (many players were very frustrated by this last year) and got lost all the time on defense.

I guess what I mean is, Drew still needs to show he can coach the guys he recruits. Maybe Will Bailey ends up being the biggest addition this offseason?

I feel the same way. Not sure that this year's haul is any better than last year's. Perhaps worse--how likely is it that someone makes the same impact that Phil did? Guess we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 am 

I saw Des Watson play several games last year and especially against VCU he impressed me. Top level quickness (something we didn't have last year at most positions), very good defending, smart decisions, and plus rebounding. Not a great three point shooter, but the quickness and reactions is impressive.

Golden's problem last year was that he wasn't willing to get physical. He would try to tip or shovel a rebound back at the hoop instead of dunking, and he'd miss about 30% of the time. I think Dame will be less contact-averse. Miles is going to have to put on some weight and learn college positioning. He was so physicaliy superior to any other player he came across last year or before that he's probably going to be complacent-- there are going to be a ton of 6'7" to 7' forwards and centers that will know how to take advantage of a newbie.

I don't know much about Dolan but his numbers were good for the Ivy (which was competitive with the A10 having a down year). If he can dish and score and take care of the ball, it's a big step up from the 2 sport last year. My biggest worry for him is on defense.

Mwamba is a player who seems like he wants to play defense. That's rare, and a thing that's needed.

I don't know the Portal timeline, but it seems like having a complete roster this early is a big plus. We are much better than last year, simply by having knowledge of A-10 teams and knowing the value of ball protection. We are quicker and more airborne without Golden and Hutson. Dame and Miles will give us a beefy positioning player and a mobile shot blocker.

I'm concerned about our 3-point shooting. Norris' shooting percentage behind the arc declined from 43% to 35.8%. Schweiger was our 2nd best three point shooter (38 made threes) and shot under 35%. Dolan will have to be better than 34% to replace Kennedy behind the arc. I think we either need to run plays to get three point shooters open, or develop better shooting spots (like in transition).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am 

Transfers are so tough to gauge. On paper, Golden looked like an equal or better transfer than guys like Tate Hall, CK, etc. But you just never know how they'll fit the system, what the coaching staff can do with them, etc.

I am optimistic about these new transfers. I think Drew internalized what went wrong this year and addressed our biggest weaknesses--athleticism and defensive lapses. From what I've seen, Mwamba is an elite defender who can match up with just about anyone on the court. He may be the transfer I am most excited about of the four.

I'm hopeful that with the two transfer guards and the development of guys like Quinn, Braden's workload will be decreased a bit. At least the nonstop reliance for him to be the primary ballhandler at all times. I do think his 3-pt shooting suffered because of the minutes, constant harassment by more athletic defenders, etc. Really need both him and Dolan to shoot around 40% and then Ben, Alston, Sheldon, etc. to hit 34%+.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:21 pm 

Nice Athletic Department press release write up about our 4 transfers. Release notes that one online analyst ranks Loyola's transfer class 20th best in nation and tops in A10.

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2023/5/ ... class.aspx

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:39 am 

Interesting look at the current “new normal” of roster building. Hoping Drew and staff can find that balance with retention and development.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:03 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Scored 30 against us... in the portal from Harvard
Chris Ledlum
6’6” 225
Forward
Harvard
1 Year of Eligibility Remaining 19ppg

Ludlum committed to Tennessee, but he's back in the portal as a grad transfer. Wonder if he ends up at SLU.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21