It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:21 pm 

Sloth84 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
If we get Pride - and obviously a big "if" -- would be considered an A-10 contender next year?

No. Pride would be a very nice pick up. But even with him we have not done enough to be considered a top A10 team. We are still too small - lacking athletes with real length. But most of all - our moves have not happened in a vacuum. Other teams have made moves or will make moves - some teams considerably better than ours. Have we added some nice players? Sure. We will be deeper. But have we secured anybody that moves the needle to the top? Hope I am wrong but I don't see it.

I don’t necessarily think you’re all wrong here, but do want to play devil’s advocate a little bit. We likely are still a little small, but multiple A-10 fan bases on Twitter have applauded our moves as excellent, in both a vacuum and in comparison to other A-10 teams. Some have gone as far to say that with the addition of Pride, we’d be contenders in a somewhat down and fluid A-10. Just something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:28 pm 

Rambler88 wrote:
Lots of variables, but I think we have improved.

I think that the class of Lewis, Dawson, and Quinn with Schweiger are intriguing. They are full-size guards with the potential to play defense. Add Rubin and I am excited about watching these kids play.

We didn't take care of the ball last year. Norris was the only player with significant playing time who had more assists than turnovers -(Edwards, Wilson and Thomas - also had more assists than turnovers). The year before Norris, Williamson, Uguak, Kennedy, Tate, Clemons and Thomas had more assist than turnovers.

We add Dolan and Adelekun who had more assists than turnovers during their careers. Dolan had nearly a 3 to 1 ratio over the last two years. Note, Watson had more turnovers than assists. If we add Pride, he is another player who has taken care of the ball. Combine these players with Norris, Lewis, Dawson, Quinn and Schwieger - I think we gain size at the guard position and a few players who are better at taking care of the ball. Other ballhandlers will allow Norris to shoot more 3s.

We are better now than we were last year..

This is really the key point. We should be dramatically better at taking care of the ball. (Schwieger and Quinn improvements needed.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:38 pm 

Sloth84 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
If we get Pride - and obviously a big "if" -- would be considered an A-10 contender next year?

No. Pride would be a very nice pick up. But even with him we have not done enough to be considered a top A10 team. We are still too small - lacking athletes with real length. But most of all - our moves have not happened in a vacuum. Other teams have made moves or will make moves - some teams considerably better than ours. Have we added some nice players? Sure. We will be deeper. But have we secured anybody that moves the needle to the top? Hope I am wrong but I don't see it.

Generally I have always admired the fans who say we're going to be god awful. It takes guts to say it. I've tried to be super pessimistic as much as possible.

I think we're going to be pretty good. Top four, I think.

The key player is going to be Rubin. He alone will add several points to defensive efficiency. Might average 2 blocks a game playing only 18-22 minutes per game. I think the way Rubin has to be prepared for his freshman year is confidence building, and weight/strength training.

The other adds are really good-- Dame, Des, and Dolan. But Dawson and Quinn should be primed to make a huge leap up. Edwards likely to be used better. The year's experience in the A 10 should show dividends.

But let's face it-- the league has been ravaged by transfers. English leaving Mason and Rhodes leaving VCU (and taking players with them) is going to set those programs back. Dayton lost Camara (who I thought was the best player in the league), and SLU lost 60-80% of their guys.

Last year there were 7 (?) First-year coaches in the A10, and the only one who did well was Urgo at Fordham. The bottom four teams in the league were all coached by guys who took teams to the tournament who were coaching their first year in the league.

We did get better in the ways we were deficient last year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:09 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 am 

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/04/22/ ... -adelekun/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:37 am 

natetheskate wrote:
https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/04/22/atlantic-10-basketball-5-questions-loyola-chicago-transfer-dame-adelekun/

Thought this question was a little odd: "You transferred from Dartmouth, one of the best academic colleges in the nation, to Loyola Chicago, a less prestigious university overall for the sake of basketball. Talk to me about that decision. Does this mean you plan to make a career out of basketball?"

1. He graduated from Dartmouth. The author makes it seem like he is abandoning the chance to get a prestigious Ivy degree and instead getting a lowly Loyola Chicago degree.

2. Does the Ivy League even allow grad students to play? I remember they had a one-time exemption due to COVID. But even if Dame wanted to play at Dartmouth last year, could he?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:10 pm 

Pretty sure the answer is no, but that's a clown question either way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:46 am 

Marquise Kennedy to UIC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:16 am 

jdubs wrote:
Marquise Kennedy to UIC

Was hoping he would go to a school not on our schedule, like SIU. It'll be tough seeing him play against LU at Gentile next year, but I hope he gets a warm welcome back from the fans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:05 pm 

Marquise reunites with former Ramblers assistant CJ Rivers.

I hope he and Hutty tear up the MVC next year…but man that UIC game is going to look weird with him in a UIC jersey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next