It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:42 am 

From Chicago, played at Curie.

2 years at Juco, 2 at Utah Valley.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:53 am 

Just a reminder for everyone-- Loyola was a pretty good shooting team this past season. Ramblers were 56th in effective Field Goal Percentage (UConn was 33rd), and Loyola was 24th in 2pt FG% (Purdue was 33rd, Texas was 36th, UConn was 50th). Loyola is not going to shoot its way out of what was wrong last year. The problem was turnovers and defense. We need rim protection, players who can take care of the ball, three-point defense, and better three point shooting.

That 6'5" guard, Richard Barron, from St. Ignatius that everyone got upset about because he just signed with Providence after uncommitting with George Mason?

Loyola recruit Miles Rubin had 20 points and a state record 8 blocks in Simeon's 60-42 playoff win against them. Rubin is going to be a top-half of the league rim protector his first year, if not top three. Considering all the players who've left the A-10 in the transfer portal, what we've got coming back, and what we've got coming in, we might be picked in the top half in the preseason poll. It will all depend on what we've learned from year one and how we adapt in year two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:25 pm 

Agreed, JCT

The St Ignatius kid might’ve been a nice depth player, but I just never saw him as a game changer at the college level based on the games I watched him play. Granted, those games over the last few years weren’t many, and I could obviously be wrong (I probably am), but I guess we’ll see. Between the two, if I had to choose I’d say I’m happy we got the Davidson kid.

And I expect defense to be much improved over last year if they play to their potential, especially on the interior.

Overall; I’m good/borderline happy with how the roster is shaping up. We’re going to be bigger, and longer, which we needed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:04 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:38 am 

https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/rj-l ... -nil-deal/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:35 am 

That article was flat out, scary. Who ever has the biggest pile of gold, wins. I understand that in the past there was under the table stuff going on; however this is a different ball game. I am curious how many of us out there in Ramblermania Land are ready, right now, to reach in thier pockets and turn over, lets say 5,000.00 smackers because the Atletic Department says that Phillip Alston's agent has said he will transfer if he doesnt get an NIL worth 100 thousand. ? And if LU cannot compete in the NIL world what chance do we have ? I have no answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:21 am 

I believe that the NIL thing is going to level out, how many alums of any schools want to have an annual 6 or 7 figure donation to a school just for players? Folks used to donate that sort of cash to get names on buildings forever and it took a one time donation.

IMO kids should cash in now because in 5 years i bet NIL is only available in some substantial way in a handful of places.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 am 

The basketball team should have endowed chairs like the academic departments. "The Caputo Cheese endowed chair of Post Play" etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 am 

SDSU making it to the championship game should put the kibosh on the idea that you need a huge NIL slush fund to win. Miami's success shows that the slush fund free agent approach can work too, but there are a lot of ways to win in this sport. There will always be kids who are winners that were a few inches too short or developed a little to late to get the p5s to look. We can give them a shot to win on the big stage and then start a fruitful career in a great city. That's worked in the past and I don't see any reason why it won't work into the future. If guys like Miles Rubin start leaving for the Miami's of the world down the road then maybe I will reconsider, but that has yet to happen. And if guys are getting recruited to leave by big pocket high majors, then maybe that means we weren't in last in the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:02 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next