It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coach Whitesell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:32 pm 

Former LU coach, Jim Whitesell was dismissed today after a 70-49 run at Buffalo. Always liked him and thought he could have been successful at LU if he had gotten the support current program has. Nice guy, good coach...Its a tough world out there. Several coaches with winning records gone.

Post subject: Re: Coach Whitesell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:23 pm 

Hate to see it. Genuinely a great guy. He was the head coach during my four years at LU. And while he may not have been handing out free pizza trying to get students to go to the game (a la Porter), he made himself available to the few students who went to games. Had a few talks with him while I was a student and really liked him. He came close a couple times to getting Buffalo to the dance but ultimate fell short.

Sounds crazy, but maybe he comes home to LU and serves as that experienced assistant we all panned for this year. I'd love him on the staff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:57 pm 

what a great idea!...except who would go? and why? there have been comments about asst. Coaches but does anyone really know if they have done a good job....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:22 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
what a great idea!...except who would go? and why? there have been comments about asst. Coaches but does anyone really know if they have done a good job....

Hipsher? I don't know what he really does. And he's only been at about half the road games, as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:41 am 

With one of Alabama’s assistant last going to Arkansas State I hope Nate Oates bring Coach Whitesell to Alabama or he ends up at Arkansas State as the top assistant. 2 possible open doors for a good guy.