It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coaching Staff 23-24
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:24 pm 

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status ... Bt4Ie-T4Iw

Porter just hired Clayton Custer back to Oklahoma….are you kidding me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:56 pm 

JArsy_22 wrote:
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1688634949631418368?s=46&t=YWox-_CAk3HiBt4Ie-T4Iw

Wow. He going to go after Clemons next?

Hope Clayton didn't sign a one-year apartment lease! Sucks that they already went through summer camp and it seemed like Clayton was pretty involved with the team and training. Disappointing. And a bit shady.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 pm 

JArsy_22 wrote:
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1688634949631418368?s=46&t=YWox-_CAk3HiBt4Ie-T4Iw

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Steve Shields still holds the modern-day record for shortest stint on the coaching staff at 27 days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:12 pm 

This is both frustrating and interesting. I wonder how this all came to be. Given everyone’s relationships, I’d imagine Porter and Drew discussed it and Drew gave his blessing? If so, good on Drew for allowing Clayton to pursue something more lucrative. That will look good to future coaching candidates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:20 pm 

gettinblery wrote:
This is both frustrating and interesting. I wonder how this all came to be. Given everyone’s relationships, I’d imagine Porter and Drew discussed it and Drew gave his blessing? If so, good on Drew for allowing Clayton to pursue something more lucrative. That will look good to future coaching candidates.

Porter lost Emanuel Dildy about 2 weeks ago to Duke, so he had a sudden opening. I'm guessing he wanted someone familiar with the current Oklahoma situation and Clayton made sense. I'm sure Drew knew and understood. Now we have to fill our role. Should be interesting who we hire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:22 pm 

Maybe we can get London back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:27 pm 

It’s tough to be a Custer or Moser fan now. Leaving twice is rough - particularly this one after just coming back.

What really stinks is - I wanted Pat Baldwin as an assistant when Ewing got fired, but we ended up getting Custer and Pat went to Valpo. I’m actually shocked Porter didn’t go after Pat! (Maybe he did).

Weird choice for Custer. My personal opinion is that, short of another meltdown, Drew is keeping his job next year, and all signs point to Loyola being back on track this upcoming season. For Oklahoma, however, that Big 12 season is going to be another bruiser, and if Moser is sub .500 again, I can see them parting ways with him after the season before their move to the SEC.

I’m sure people will have different opinions, but I think it’s a real slap in the face to Loyola by Porter by even reaching out to get Custer. Porter can’t keep assistants at Oklahoma, got himself into another bad situation before the season, and his solution was to mess up Loyola’s situation before their season.

This one stinks …..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:11 pm 

College sports is all a business. Just look at the PAC12. Mid majors will soon be mid nothings. Just being honest, college sports is not the same anymore. Can’t blame Porter or Clay. Did Loyola make a big counter offer to keep Clay? Again, can’t compete with the power conferences and it will just get worse. I couldn’t stand non d1 games but now am staring to think D2 and D3 basketball is true college basketball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:58 pm 

well unless there are some unknown circumstances this certainly puts some clouds over my memories of the Porter years....I will be certain to see if I can get some more insight into this at the Golf Outing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:26 pm 

Business or BS?
Sorry but Porter leaving was business. I didn’t like it then. BUT I accepted it. Okay.
I also think Custer had more to gain at LUC in the long term, as opposed to hanging onto PM’s coattails. I was excited to have Clay back here. Do you think any fans in Norman care about this news at all?
Certainly Porter could have kept Clay from leaving OU in the first place, but didn’t. Don’t tell me Custer left OU for a salary increase here…. So why now.
I dream to see LUC as a destination job rather that a stop along the way????? Porter was on the cusp of that, visited Gonzaga etc but chose to move on. Sorry but I needed to vent my sour taste for this news.
Drew is our guy now and I hope we have success AND he stays put…
Guess I’m a dreamer, but dreams do come true.
Go Ramblers….

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next