It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coaching Staff 23-24
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:35 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:
Business or BS?
Sorry but Porter leaving was business. I didn’t like it then. BUT I accepted it. Okay.
I also think Custer had more to gain at LUC in the long term, as opposed to hanging onto PM’s coattails.
Certainly Porter could have kept Clay from leaving OU in the first place, but didn’t. Don’t tell me Custer left OU for a salary increase here….
I dream to see LUC as a destination job rather that a stop along the way????? Porter was on the cusp of that, visited Gonzaga etc but chose to move on. Sorry but I needed to vent my sour taste for this news.
Drew is our guy now and I hope we have success AND he stays put…
Guess I’m a dreamer, but dreams do come true.
Go Ramblers….

Agree. It puts a bit of tarnish on Porter, but more so on Clay. He didn't have a place at OK, came back home. Then leaves when Porter comes calling after losing a coach to Duke. It's a business yes, and I'm sure we tried to entice him to stay but he would have more opportunity and advance faster here than I think being an Asst.Coach at OK at the entry level (let's be honest, he would be, even here). Even though he gave us so much in the Final Four run, I hope he didn't burn a bridge here with Valentine and Watson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:57 pm 

Will be interesting to see if there's a spot on the staff for ol' Clayton next year (or the year after) when Porter is terminated and Custer is again on the job hunt.

Feels very dirty how we were treated here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:25 pm 

Clay probably came here because he would be an assistant coach even though the salary likely wasn’t that much more than his non assistant coach role at OU. Now when an assistant spot opens at OU and it is likely a lot more money and the same title in a Power conference. Plus he knows the OU players and staff. Fully support Clayton here. He knows what he is doing. He will be fine whatever happens after this season at OU. He won’t need LU to stay employed as an assistant coach. Are assistant coaches still on one year contracts or are they “at will?” Imagine Drew let him go and they aren’t having OU pay them for taking Clay. I truly feel neither side is upset nor were any bridges burnt. I also am still a huge Porter fan and support Drew! All is fine! This year will be fun!! The Power conference realignment is more troubling to the future of LU basketball than Clay returning to OU.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:12 am 

I guess Clayton was ALL IN too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:43 am 

440Rambler wrote:

A bounce on the rim, a bounce high off the glass, one more bounce off the rim, and ONLY THEN he was ALL IN.

I'm not an expert in coaching, but as a big fan of the team through the years it seems like Ben Richardson would be a better coaching prospect in my mind than Custer, particularly after Richardson did a lot of time playing pro in Europe. Richardson took what he learned from Moser and his team mentor Joe Crisman, and became the best defender in the MVC in one or two seasons. Fierce work ethic, apparently a good sense of humor and understands teamwork. I think Richardson had to work at basketball more than Custer, and he found ways to compensate. MVC Scholar-Athlete (honor roll) and then to play pro for several years in Europe? Lots of potential there...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:24 am 

JCT wrote:
440Rambler wrote:

A bounce on the rim, a bounce high off the glass, one more bounce off the rim, and ONLY THEN he was ALL IN.

I'm not an expert in coaching, but as a big fan of the team through the years it seems like Ben Richardson would be a better coaching prospect in my mind than Custer, particularly after Richardson did a lot of time playing pro in Europe. Richardson took what he learned from Moser and his team mentor Joe Crisman, and became the best defender in the MVC in one or two seasons. Fierce work ethic, apparently a good sense of humor and understands teamwork. I think Richardson had to work at basketball more than Custer, and he found ways to compensate. MVC Scholar-Athlete (honor roll) and then to play pro for several years in Europe? Lots of potential there...

Think Lucas credited a ton of his freshman year development to Ben. He was basically "mini Ben" in practice and learned that defensive relentlessness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:38 pm 

Guys

Final 4 and Sweet 16 are memories that most likely will never be replicated in the next many years. We should enjoy it. The fact is, if you're Custer - as bad as OU was last year - its still a power 5 school, in arguably the best hoops conference and he is most likely getting paid 2x vs what he was going to make at LU.

Hard to say no to that.

Let's also not forget that our shine is a bit tarnished as well after last year.

A-10 vs Big 12
Final 4/ Sweet 16 coach, who you played for
vs
3rd year head coach that looked over his skis in year 2.

I just don't see how you say no to that if you're Custer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:58 pm 

I get it, but it feels like a punch to the gut. The optics of this aren't great, given the marketing around culture and someone of Clay's pedigree coming in/out so quickly.

All depends on who fills the role.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:12 pm 

I don't think anyone thinks a Loyola assistant job is better than an Oklahoma assistant job.

I also don't think its reasonable to expect Loyola fans to treat this situation unemotionally, given we are fans of Loyola and they were the ones left in the lurch by Clayton.

I am certain Clayton doesn't mind if we're upset, just as I am certain Porter wasn't concerned about Loyola's feelings when he poached him away.

This is all a part of the game nowadays. As much as I'd love to have all the Porter year legends hang around forever and have great relationships with the program like Harkness did for so many years it was unrealistic to think that they all would. Would it have been cool to be there at the home opener and see Clay on the sideline and give him a big cheer? Sure. Is it the end of the world that that wont happen? Not at all.

The long and the short of it lets love who we got and who wants to be here. For those that don't, who cares.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:40 pm 

My last thought here is to work with our players all summer then bolt is less than wonderful behavior. Not exactly role model material. I hope our staff from Drew on down takes more pride of ownership to this program and “our kids”. I’m sick of bowing to P5 cherry picking. If A10 and other midmajors are feeders to P5 how about the NCAA representing all member schools require our P5 “brothers” to share their wealth accordingly. Good luck with that one!
Greed will ruin this game…
Go Ramblers
PS Any news on the Wintrust game i.e tickets etc?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next