Post subject: Wojcik
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:39 am 

Loyola- Brown- North Carolina

Post subject: Re: Wojcik
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:19 pm 

Loyola-Brown-North Carolina Bench

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:15 am 

This was the kid (as a freshman) who was assigned to call me as a season ticket holder in 2020 to get me enthused for the season. As a result, I watched him pretty closely that year to see if he was going to amount to anything. I looked up his high school record, found out he came from a coaching family, and thought he might be good for us at his level. If he'd stayed until this year, I'm pretty sure he would have received 20 minutes of play MINIMUM last year for an A-10 school. Was his skill set right for where we find ourselves now? I don't know-- in fact, I'm pretty doubtful about that.

If we've got a 6'3"-6'4" junior or senior guard who's better on defense than offense, I don't know if he gets more than 15 minutes per game with the mix we've got now. Back in the MVC, he'd probably play starters minutes. This league is so geared toward speed, athleticism, and length, you've got to have a well-planned and tested offensive/defensive philosophy to go against that--- we did NOT have that coming into this year. We were dropped into a deep part of an unfamiliar pool. I think we'll be much better this year.

In our second year in the MVC, we doubled our conference win total and won the CBI. I think a leap like that is totally possible for Loyola in their second year in the A-10, especially with coaching changes, player exoduses, our experience from year one, and our new personnel. Dayton, St. Louis, George Mason, Rhode Island, UMass and La Salle have had heavy transfer portal and graduation losses. We're going in the right direction, and I'm really excited for next year.

As for Mr. Wojcik, he had two good years at Brown, where he started every game. Got a great education from two years at Loyola (probably mostly the Jesuit core curriculum) and two years at a top Ivy school. Now he's using his grad transfer/Covid year to sit on the bench, observe, and get a few minutes for kicks playing for North Carolina. All of this is great training for a career in coaching like his dad. Pretty nice training, elegantly managed on his part considering all the crazy events in between.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:17 am 

I know people have said that he will sit on the bench all year but you have to give him props for putting himself in a position where UNC even offers him a spot. I put him on the list of what could have beens had he stayed at Loyola for his whole career.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 am 

Projo.com has an article about him. Probably the second-best player on this year's Brown team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:18 am 

A degree from an Ivy League institution and a chance to suit up for one of the most storied programs in college basketball...plus he gets to play for some state school in North Carolina :lol:

Paxon did the whole college thing right.

Krut & Will mentioned trying to get him on their pod. Hope they do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:43 pm 

1. I would be curiousious if A. You can take a guy for a 2nd time. B. If it has ever been done b4 C. If we reached out to Wocjik