It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:02 pm 

From very reliable multiple sources, the Loyola administration made a great effort to retain Davis with a sweetened deal. The Loyola administration was involved at the highest levels on a weekend to boot. So if you believe that (or not), there is this other narrative.
to me it seems credible. Women's volleyball is very competitive and it is not uncommon for coaches salaries to contain the number three.
Like major league baseball, the big market teams can outbid the small market teams. We were outbid. I think it is plain and simple and I don't think that camp money or scholarships were the straw that broke the back. Rather NU put a lot more money on the scale, more than Loyola could afford.
I would not be as negative on the Davis departure as some. It seems logical and I believe was only a matter of time. Who would not want a coach who built a program and won back to back NCAA titles.
Also there were some interesting information on other commitments the university has made to athletics in general

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 pm 

Streak,
What do mean by the tease in your last sentence? "...other commitments the university has made to athletics in general."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:16 pm 

Lets just say ( and I don't have details) but the two things that coaches want, time and money, are often added behind the scenes when there is success.
And there was success last year in two sports.

The downside to success though is that success brings out the big boys and sometimes there "rewards" exceed what we can afford.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:10 am 

Here's my guess translation. Are you saying that the men's basketball staff received a few more perks than the men's volleyball staff in terms of time/money? By the time the mid-December train to Northwestern was ready to take off, LUC tried to keep the train from leaving but there just wasn't enough perks to keep that train from leaving?