It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 am 

The football bowl championship stuff isn't officially an NCAA sponsored event. The NCAA at that level has never officially had a post season. I think that's why alcohol is allowed. Arch Madness definitely has alcohol. Ask every fanbase how annoying Creighton fans always were...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm 

Blue wrote:
Speaking of concessions, does anyone know how Loyola gets to sell beer during home games during the regular season?

I went to the first and second rounds of March Madness at Amway Center in Orlando this year and was shocked they weren't selling beer. It made for a LONG day of watching hoops not to mention the money they left on the table. I pretty much expected the Final Four this weekend to be dry after that experience. On the other hand I went to the National Championship game between ND and Bama in Miami a few years ago and was able to purchase beer so I have no idea what the rules are (feel like this is commonplace with the NCAA) regarding the sale of alcohol at sporting events.

I have rarely, if ever, had beer at Gentile for men's volleyball. I have spoken to the guy who runs the operation at Gentile (his name escapes me). He is usually there at the northwest concession for bball or vball. He calls me his best customer since I always ask if beer is available and if it is I usually buy a couple. What he said was that if Loyola doesn't staff enough security for an event, men's volleyball in this case, he can't sell alcohol. So men's volleyball which doesn't draw a huge enough crowd to justify allocating extra security, doesn't usually have alcohol served. He also said last Thursday that the NCAA won't let him serve alcohol for their event. On a side note, Gentile only has the two concessions which both had about a 20-25 minute wait for food. I was in one of them and almost missed the entire 4th set between BYU and Stanford. Saturday I heard was much better. I didn't get food as I had just eaten at 63's happy hour but I heard that there were extra stations of food in the concourse. At one point, a vendor came down our aisle and was selling $1 hot dogs. We bought some.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 pm 

Blue wrote:
Rambler63 wrote:

You have to figure that men's volleyball will see a big increase in average attendance next season, hopefully maintaining the 1000+ benchmark. The MIVA teams will probably get a nice little boost next year as well, since opposing teams will be able to promote the defending National Champion coming to town.

What's crazy is how stacked the Ramblers are again next year. Losing Jasaitis and Smalzer will definitely hurt, but the Ramblers are still in a strong position to get back to the Final Four next year with Jaeschke, Caldwell, Olseon, Hutz, and McAndrews all returning and Wisconsin state HS player of the year Ben Plaisted also joining the Ramblers.

Smalzer and Jasaitis were good leaders too. It will be very interesting to see who steps up to take their place as captains. Talent-wise, we return most starters as you just mentioned. Is this Plaisted a right side? We're going to need one. Tony Darin is graduation too.

The MIVA overall should be stronger. Ohio State has to bounce back from a few declining years. Lewis only loses Boldog. If they find a good setter like we did with Hutz last year, they will be very competitive.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 pm 

vuster4 wrote:
Smalzer and Jasaitis were good leaders too. It will be very interesting to see who steps up to take their place as captains. Talent-wise, we return most starters as you just mentioned. Is this Plaisted a right side? We're going to need one. Tony Darin is graduation too.

The MIVA overall should be stronger. Ohio State has to bounce back from a few declining years. Lewis only loses Boldog. If they find a good setter like we did with Hutz last year, they will be very competitive.

Yes as I understand it he's OPP and a southpaw.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum