It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 pm 

Still a lot to work on, but very happy that we were able to come back with a win after being down by 15+. Milton Doyle looks better than ever!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm 

Very rough first half. Second half so much better. Great fight to come back. Milt was clutch there on that streak. We need to play a full game at that level but I'm happy about the win for today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:58 pm 

Big win vs. a pretty good Toledo team. Would have been tough to lose back to back games before heading to Alaska - where wins will be tough to get. Milt was unbelievable shooting the ball....but struggled with his handle all game. Would have been great to land a true point guard for this season - and let Milt shift to an off guard position. He is much more comfortable in that role.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:14 pm 

Great comeback win. Totally agree with you on Milt being an off guard, Sloth. I think that's why we brought Tyson Smith, who I think is eligible to play our next game after sitting the first 4. I would have hoped that Keke could get back to his prior shape before the knee injury or even try to develop Richardson as a combo guard. That said, I think we've got a nice year stopgap at point guard with Keke/Smith before Smith/Custer next year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:37 pm 

Feels like it's been awhile since I posted here...

That was a certainly a thriller tonight. Here's my story on the game for those who are interested.

http://thecatchandshoot.com/milton-doyl ... -comeback/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm 

Well, that game was certainly a character-builder. Down by 18 in the first half? No problem!

Remember a couple of years ago, when the problem was holding on to a 20-point lead?

But on a serious note, depth is becoming a problem... We only had three guys coming off the bench-- Richardson, Ingram, and White-- and they combined for only FOUR points. Adgei and Rajala got a DNP, and Smith isn't eligible until next game (will probably be tentative or rusty playing his first D1 game). Knuth would have been a big lift, and I'm surprised Adgei didn't get any minutes because I think a long and quick forward would have been important to drive a wedge in their inside-out game.

Holding Toledo under 70 points is difficult to do (they came in averaging 98 per game), and they were on pace for 78 at halftime. When they score less than 70, they're very beatable.

I was a bit surprised that Navigato wasn't used more on offense (only three shots on goal in 28 minutes?!??!). When I saw him in the IHSA semifinals, he was most of Geneva's offense. He has the Geneva school records for scoring, assists, steals, blocked shots and 3-pointers.

This was a quality win against a team that will probably win 18-20 games and finish in the top half of the MAC. If Boothe (55 points in his last two games) keeps playing like that, they're going to make a run at the title. Hope we learned to not let the previous game hangover last too long, and to make sure we control tempo and the style of the game to our benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:38 pm 

It's too early to tell for sure, but I suspect Adgei was recruited as an athlete who can run and jump and is well put together physically, and who may one day turn into a basketball player. From the limited time I've seen him on video or in person, he doesn't seem to play the game with feel or instinct.
I hope that comes someday with coaching, practice and game experience.

I thought Navigato looked good for a freshman. He has pretty good size and handles the ball well. Toledo used him to bring the ball upcourt against the press. To me, he looked like a quicker Knuth. I don't know why Moser didn't recruit him after he decommitted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:23 pm 

Agree that Navigato looked real good. He would look nice in a Rambler uniform.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:40 pm 

Well, Gang I just got back from Walsh HS Christmas play--My Grandson Brad was in it--WHITE CHRISTMAS ! He also wrote directed and starred in a little one act Playlet, NUNthing for Christmas. Kid's got talent !! Clever !!

Anyway , earlier on this thread some said we were a bad team--I disagree--I feel we have yet to gel !! Apparently we have done so now ! I believe we will now be on our way. We were bad apparently in the beginning, but as I have said all along, we have many guns--as witness the second half--from what I have read. Much like Kent last year , this game may be the turning point--

And NOW--Its Off To ALASKA !!!

GO RAMBLERS ! !!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 pm 

Never in doubt! Haha

This was a great win for the Ramblers. I've seen us on the other end of too many of these games to count. We played an outstanding second half after a dismal first. I'll take it. Great fun at Gentile. On to Alaska!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next